Video Card Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

socav

Baseband Member
Thanks in advance. You guys are great.

1) Does it affect performance if an ATI video card is in a motherboard with a nVidia chipset, or vice versa?

2) Could I get a brief explanation of what GT, GTX, XL, XT, etc. mean?

3) 6800GT or x800xl? Right now I'm thinking they're even -- I've heard arguments from both sides, but nothing has convinced me that one is better than the other.

1) No they will perform about the same.. and you really have no choice because ATI dont make chipsets.

2) ok so basically you have Nvidia and Ati..

Nvidia gose like this
7800GT - basically the same as the 7800GTX but with 4 less piples enabled.
7800GTX - Best card out ATM, has 24 piples

So if you want the best from nvidia you would go with the GTX, but the GT is still a very good card.

Ati Gose like this.

basically the same as Nvidia

XL is the card under the XT.
The XL has slower memory and core speeds and only the XT will be avalible in the 512MB Version. (The XT wont be avaliable till next month)

3) The 6800GT would be your best choice, because it supports PS3, and most of the new games are gunna need PS3. But if you can afford it i would suggest going with a 7800GT.

Well, I can afford it, but it seems ridiculous to pay $350 for a video card. Especially since I don't play games that often. But I do want to be able to sit down from time to time and enjoy the latest games without them crashing. And it looks like a 6800 GT will do that for me, and more. So I think that's my answer. Thanks.

Also, it looks like ATI makes the chipset for this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130513

ATI make a chipset for their crossfire.

Anyway, what I wanted to add was, if you don't really play games, but want to enjoy them if you do, save some money and get a 6600gt. It would be wasted money getting anything more, and tbh. getting a 6600gt in my eyes and not play games alot is still a waste. You could get a FX series or a 9/X*** series from ATI.

Sprooty said:
1) No they will perform about the same.. and you really have no choice because ATI dont make chipsets.

2) ok so basically you have Nvidia and Ati..

Nvidia gose like this
7800GT - basically the same as the 7800GTX but with 4 less piples enabled.
7800GTX - Best card out ATM, has 24 piples

So if you want the best from nvidia you would go with the GTX, but the GT is still a very good card.

Ati Gose like this.

basically the same as Nvidia

XL is the card under the XT.
The XL has slower memory and core speeds and only the XT will be avalible in the 512MB Version. (The XT wont be avaliable till next month)

3) The 6800GT would be your best choice, because it supports PS3, and most of the new games are gunna need PS3. But if you can afford it i would suggest going with a 7800GT.

ATI make chipsets thats how they get crossfire :D

get the 6800GT and 512MB of video memory is waste of money

do you mean SM3? not PS3...

PZEROFGH said:
ATI make chipsets thats how they get crossfire :D

get the 6800GT and 512MB of video memory is waste of money

Yeah sorry bout that, i aint really caught up with the crossfire specs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom