Intel Celeron D 3.06 or Intel P4 2.4a ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lws_junior

Baseband Member
Intel Celeron D 345 Prescott 533MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model BX80546RE3066C - Retail
Operating Frequency: 3.06GHz
L1 Cache: 12KB+16KB
L2 Cache: 256KB

Intel Pentium 4 2.4A Prescott 533MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model BX80546PE2400E - Retail
L1 Cache: 12KB+16KB
L2 Cache: 1MB

The Celeron D is a fater processor however the Pentium 4.2a has more L2 Cache. Which in this case is the deciding factor? Please keep in mind that I'm not gaming with this pc, only graphics that don't need a lot of power.

Both processors are about the same price. Thanks

out of the box, the P4 is probably going to run a little faster all around, even though its clock speed is lower, it has a higher cache and hyper-threading. If you aren't into tinkering around and overclocking, go with the P4.

Otherwise, the Celeron D is very overclockable, and can be made to run MUCH faster than the P4 2.4A.... but you should definitely do your research before attempting that.

they're benchmarking the P4 Northwood in that test...not the Prescott.. however, the celeron d would probably be faster anyways because i just found out that the 2.4 prescott did not have hyper-threading technology, which would have made a big difference.

It's rather difficult to find a good benchmark of the P4 2.4A, but yea... i'm with Trifid now, go with the cely

Thanks all for the info. I ordered the Celeron D. 345 (3.06 Gig) from Newegg. By the way Tiger Direct now carries the Celeron D 3.2 ghz. I noticed that also the P4 wasn't hyper-threading and after reading this thread plus reading articles on the web I decided to go with the Celeron.

My next computer I plan to build will be a major powerhouse setup for Video rendering. At that time I'll probably be back asking for advise. Thanks.

Why does everyone make fun of my processor (Celleron D 2.93) and then they tell this guy to buy one that is only about .13 GHZ faster?

I suppose it all comes down to what you plan to use the pc for. Myself I plan to use this pc for graphic work that doesn't need a lot of power. I'm not a serious gamer however if I were I would certainly choose something other than a Celeron D. Also this system I'm upgrading is rather inexpensive. I already had everything else but the motherboard and processor. So a big upgrade from what I had cost only $220.00. Besides if I were to have gone with a P4 Prescott I would have had to purchase an additional Heatsink/ cooling fan, extra case fans ... just more cash that wasn't in the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom