Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I agree. Did you want to re-install XP on this newer drive because of a current problem with the installation of this older drive? If not, then you can use a ghosting program like Symantec Ghost to copy everything from this older drive to the newer one. It will copy everything.....registry entries, files, applications, etc.
Dragging and Dropping normal files from the old drive to the new one won't be a problem but that's just for normal files. You can't simply drag and drop an entire application from one drive to another. The registry entires will never be created for the application to work correctly...You will have to re-install all of the applications on this newer drive anyway.
But if you use Ghost....it's a one shot deal. Just "image" the drive and you are all set.

-Mike

That's what I heard about Drag & Drop between HD's. AKA=Corrupted Files... Thanks Mike!

kboy said:
That's what I heard about Drag & Drop between HD's. AKA=Corrupted Files...

files wont corrupt, they'll be exactly the same. its the certain programs that won't be able to run properly as their registry settings are now misleading. ...if ur trying to move ur sofa into ur wardrobe and it wont fit, there's nothing wrong with the sofa. blame the house designer instead.

Thanks everyone this is helping a lot.

Mike: I have Ghost but it won't work because my old harddrive is to full to work for some reason. What I really want to do is get all the old crap off my old HD so it runs cleaner but if I image it and put it on the new drive it still is filled with old crappie files so what I might end up haveing to do is just spending a weekend and reinstall what I want on the new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom