submerged computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know anythign about liquads that dont conduct water, but i am sure there is an alternative. maybe google for some answers. ill go google now

ps i think this experiment looks intersting. but i am wodering maybe you should try submerging some parts only.

I believe he said that because HD's are designed to work in air, not water. Some artical I read once described the read/write arm as more of a 'wing', that kinda floated on the air from the spinning drive.
That might make sense except for the fact he said 'use distilled water' right after it implying the whole 'only working in air' wasnt what he was meaning.

However, I've seen computers submerged but when 'computer' is used, it was generally only the mobo and of course the pieces that fit into it, RAM, graphics card, etc....everything else was attached via cables and kept dry.

there has to be a better solution then water for that type of experiment.
there are other liquids, but it's not a question of 'what liquid can I submerge it in'...the whole experiment is to see if he can get it to run in pure water.

It's called like hydroflouride or something like that, can't even remember, but it's like $200+ a gallon

i think your thinking of something called "fluorinert" (i think :|) its made by 3M. and i'm getting kind of annoyed at people pointing out a hdd won't work under water, i pointed that out in my first point. and one more time to clarify....the reason i'm using water is this is the theory i wish to work with, not for any other reason. i am not exploring whether a computer can be submerged in liquid, but actually in water. i'm not sure if this post sounds aggressive but i'm in pain now so if it is forgive me people.

i am not exploring whether a computer can be submerged in liquid, but actually in water
which is what I just said in my last post.

and yeah it was flourinert from 3M, HFE was the acronym I remembered, but I didn't come across what it stood for...only did about 5 seconds of searching.

i've found that i can apparently get de-ionised water from a car mechanic. they use it in radiators to prevent corrosion. the only question is it's purity. somehow i don't think they would be too concerned about making sure its pure for a car radiator. experiment is probably going to be done within the next 3 weeks, i have to do it before exams because school finishes as soon as exams do.

Yer in college?

Heck, just wander over to the physics/bio lab and have them help you purify some water. I'm sure they've got at least a good osmo-pump over there.

nitestick said:
i've found that i can apparently get de-ionised water from a car mechanic. they use it in radiators to prevent corrosion. the only question is it's purity. somehow i don't think they would be too concerned about making sure its pure for a car radiator. experiment is probably going to be done within the next 3 weeks, i have to do it before exams because school finishes as soon as exams do.

Yup, its called distilled water.

Distilled water has no ions in it. It is electrically neutral. Water can only have an electrical charge if there are ions of equal charge (sodium, calcium, potassium, chloride) dissolved in the water to make ut neutral again. Distilled water is H20 and only H20.

A Junior in High School and trying to do this? I'm the same but I can't even imagine doing this. I'd say wait till college :). But theres about a one in a billion chance you'll listen to reason so, good luck.

There are very few liquids out there that won't conduct electricity. There is this one that was perfected a while ago...there was a pic of a laptop submerged in it. The chemical formula for it looked like alphabet soup though...lol. Anyways, it was invented for use in water sprinkelers in office buildings, so in case of a fire, the water wouldn't short circuit all the computers. The liquid is INDISTINGUISHABLE from water and safe to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom