Word: Can't type over text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoto512

Baseband Member
Hi People,

Not a major issue, but it's really annoying. In Word, if I highlight text and type, it doesn't type over what was previously written, nor can I backspace and delete what was there. Only way I can delete it is by using the Delete button. Anyone know why it won't behave itself? :)

Cheers,

Kyoto.

Have you checked the settings? In Office 97, it's Tools/Options/Edit, then make sure 'typing replaces selection' box is checked- if it is, try unchecking it, then OK, then check it again, & click OK. You can also double click 'OVR' in the bottom toolbar, to overtype. Otherwise, which version of Office are you using, & what have you tried so far?

ag100

Try hitting the button "insert" one time. Insert seems to be the default button for this. Before I typed this response, I tried it here just now. I hit insert, typed some text, and halfway in that text I typed again and it was overwriting it as you described. I also had this happen in an AIM instant message once, and realized that when I went to hit backspace, I went too far and tapped insert by mistake.

Thanks everyone,

ag100 - you were right, there was an option in "Options" that I had never heard about which had been deselected, god knows how.

Cheers,

Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom