Noob video card question

Status
Not open for further replies.
eVGA is what everyone seems to be going with.. and if they sucked, people wouldnt be going with them... id try to find one of them :D

i want to get a 6800GT Pci-e card PZEROFGH. Also, i have stock cooling and i've heard the card can get up to 70 degrees celcius. Is this a problem? Maybe not during the winter:p

I seriously doubt your fx5300 is PCI-e especially if it was a store-boguht computer that you bought last year. Then again I might be wrong.

The first video card released on PCI-e was a 6200 or 6600, not one of them 5XXX cards. You my friend have an old out dated system with PCI, possibly AGP, right now i think the best card you can get is the eVGA 6800GT for AGP 8x, if your motherboard even supports AGP.

PCI - Old normal white slots, sometimes other colors, usualy theres 2-6 of them on a motherboard.
AGP - Graphics card slot, only one on a motherboard and they sit a little farther to the center of the board then the PCI slot. It is also different color from the PCI slots.
PCI-E - Newest interface for graphics cards and other various cards. PCI-e comes in different formats, but the slots are usualy very short or VERY long compared to normal PCI and AGP slots.

"The motherboard provides one PCI Express x16 slot and three 32-bit PCI bus slots."

This is a quote from my manual. And the diagram shows that the pci-e slot is longer and the short section of the pci-e slot is opposite that of a regular pci slot. I don't have an AGP slot on my board. The card i have is FX5300 PCX so maybe the pcx means pci-e?!?

anyways, thanks for the help all yous guys!

I have a stock 350W power supply. Even though the cards specs say that 350 is the minimum, will i need a better one. I have only one hard drive, 4 sticks ram, DVD-RW, Cd rom, ya know the basics. Will the 350W PSU work???

ok i hvae it open

+12V 19.5A
-12V 0.5 A

it also says +3.3V & +5V & +12V = 320V max.

also it says the yellow one is the 19.5A wire but they all look the same:confused:

also, on tiger direct's power supply guide thing, they had a chart of how much power certain things use. does every 128MB of RAM use 7 W? they said a high end card (6800GT - year old but still pretty good) could use up to 100W. cpu 80-100, and drives and stuff could use 5-10 each.
Can i run the 6800GT without taxing the PSU too much???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom