why is my system slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

runescaper

Baseband Member
Heres how it is, MY COMPUTER IS SLOW!
so i decided to do some upgrading and i dont know where to start. O yeah am using a PentiumIII 733Mhz processor on a AsusTek Cuv4x-C mobo, running 256mb SDRAM. Anyways, should 1)i upgrade my memory?
2)or my processor?
3)or refer to the ignorants trick and buy a new computer?

say i wanted to upgrade to some P4 proccesor, can my motherboard handle it?

am really confused :confused:

You MOBO will not take a P4 due to the architecture differences. You could upgrade the proc to a higher P3 if you want. Not much gain really. The memory will not add much either.
What is it that you are doing that is causing the machine to run slow? Gaming? Net browsing? What sets the slow standard for you. You might just need a new video card or a better Hard drive too.

ram will do the most for the money but not too much considering you can add allot of ram and get a bottle neck with your processer speed but out of your upgrade options that is the best choice

also one thing i do when trying to make other people scomputer is format the whole thing then it is as fast as the day you bought it

format and add some ram should make a difference

well, u see for the last couple of month, every game is try is not compatable with my video card. So, i said to myself i would get a high preformance video card and to get the most of it i guess your computer needs to be running fairly speedy and good u know.
forget about all that
i am thinking about building a new computer on top of my existing parts. replace the mobo, proccessor, add some ram, new video card.
any suggestion ?

Bigest problem with doing it slow with your rig.Even if you had all the top gear around the pent 3 it would still be slow.
Your processsor,Motherbroad,memory,and power supply cant be reused.If you change anyone of these pc's you need them all changed.If yuor gonna chnge it out pc by pc. Id change out these first.Probably be cheaper starting over but its more fun putting your own together.
Your Moniter,Hard Drive,OS,Keyboard, mouse,10/100 card,sound card,video card, and maybe your case.

Pent 4's use a differnt power supply. Not sure about AMD's.

i decided to put a whole new thing together, might as well have 2 computers. I got this list together of things am planning to use.

1. Case: Just 4 PC - Beige Mid-Tower Case with AMD Approved and Intel Pentium 4 Ready 425 Watt Power Supply
CAD $48.99
2. Motherboard: Soyo - P4I 845PE Lite - Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP, USB and 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN Support
CAD $49.97
3. Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 2.20Ghz / 512k Cache / 400FSB / Socket 478 / Processor
CAD $173.99
4. Memory: Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory
CAD $111.9
5. Storage: Maxtor 80GB / 7200 / 2MB / 8.0 / ATA-133 EIDE Hard Drive
CAD $104.99
6. Optical Devices: Artec Beige 52x24x52x IDE Internal CD-RW Drive with Nero Burning Software
CAD $44.99
7.Cooling:
-Processor: Ultra Aluminum Socket 478 up to P4 2.8GHz CPU Cooling Fan (CAD $20.99)
-Hard drive: Speeze Hard Drive Cooler Fan fits 3.5" Drives (CAD $8.99)
-Case: Speeze 80mm Case Fan (CAD $6.99)
-Memory: Ultra Memory Aluminum Cooler (DDR or SDRAM) (CAD $9.99)
8. Input devices : I would shop around town, could get em cheap.
9. Monitor: A good CRT lives in my basement
10. Video Card: Connect3D Radeon 9200se 128MB DDR AGP with TV-Out Video Card
CAD $77.99

GRAND TOTAL IS : CAD $659.78 (around US $494)

is it worth it going through the trouble? coz am really looking forward to a good project.
and please feel free to make suggestions and point out any incompatablilties.

Video Card: Connect3D Radeon 9200se 128MB DDR AGP with TV-Out Video Card CAD $77.99 That is a crappy card, and you will be very disappointed with it, especially if you play FPS or 3D games. Get a 9600 pro or xt if you can afford it.

Also, MOBO 845 chipset is not all that good. Go higher with 865 or 875.
CPU P4 2.2 400 MHz. Go with 2.4 or more with 800 MHz. prices have come down a lot.
HDD with 2 M buffer is crap. go with 8MB
Memory. get DDR 400
Check prices at NCIX. COM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom