submerged computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distilled water would work as far as I'm concerned...my loop leaked on my operating computer and I cleaned it up with some alcohol and the PC worked fine using distilled water

Also, as a cooling method it doesn't really work well...true the water initially keeps the core cool but eventually your processor will heat up the water...heat can't go anywhere so your processor overheats and dies

My computer is next to my sink. I have splashed my graphics card and motherboard with water before. It doesn't do anything. Being submerged is different though.

If possibe, take some video and upload it somewhere. It sounds like it will be awsome no matter what happen. Good luck wit it.

ATi did it, I'm going to search google and find links.

Too lazy to get actualy info, so just a pic:
submerged_pc.jpg

the reason i'm doing this is i've found few reliable sources claiming to have done this. i like to consider myself a reliable source so i am taking the liberty of performing the experiment myself and reporting the results. sure i will post pics or video!!! either we will get some nice results or a nice bang so either way its cool. i'm well aware how old this topic is and like i said i have a hell of a lot of old parts, more than enough for me to be willing to sacrifice an old computer and i want to do this myself. i'll keep the progress report.

I can see the headlines now

"Student and Teacher found fried"

:p

wash your components in the pure water before you submerge it in whatever container will have the rest of the liquid...that should help in getting rid of the impurities.

Hard drive dies in water. Try to use distilled water as it should work.
I don't understand why you said this when he says he's going to get PURE water...meaing distilled, deionized and de-everything like he said...pure H20 no other crap in it.

Chances are it probably won't work really great...I only say that because that water won't stay 'pure' for very long.

You'd still need a heatsink for the CPU though as that water would be around room temperature and the CPU would still die pretty quick.

Good luck on that

I believe he said that because HD's are designed to work in air, not water. Some artical I read once described the read/write arm as more of a 'wing', that kinda floated on the air from the spinning drive. HD's arn't sealed, they allow air to enter and exit through a filter. Adding liquid to this mix would be interesting, because it probably wouldn't completely fill.... Imagine a rotating disk throwing water around an arm that less then a human hair from the disk.

So yeah I doubt a HD would work very long in a liquid environment, whatever that liquid is.

PS why water? any fluid that doesn't conduct electricity would work, there has to be a better solution then water for that type of experiment.

Sui said:
PS why water? any fluid that doesn't conduct electricity would work, there has to be a better solution then water for that type of experiment.

Obviously he is going to need a lot of this liquid, so what liquid do you think he can use that won't cost him a fourtune? Hmmm, water perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom