x800-gt gaming compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks macdawg. I had been worried that a game requiring ps3 technology just plain wouldnt run on a card that didnt support it, but it seems that is not the case.

I'm running out of reasons to think the 6600 is better. Everything specs wise seems to say otherwise. I just found a page that gave a few performance tests and it seems that each card is capable of flogging the other, depending on the game being played.

Im currently suffering away on a celeron computer with onboard graphics, so i daresay i will love whatever i end up with.

Does anyone know if it is possible to unlock extra pipelines on the x800gt yet? Or whether it usually does become possible?

003 said:
The X850XTPE does beat the 6800 Ultra very badly in preformance, that's just a fact, and why shouldn't it? It has some insane clock speeds going for it, but it lacks SM3. One thing I will give ATI is their anostropic filtering quality. It is beautiful. It has no texture "shimmering" like nvidia does with AF. The only way to remove the shimmering with an nvidia card is to turn the image quality all the way up to high quality in the control center, but that results in a major preformance drop. ATI has perfect AF at the normal preformance setting. For this reason I am seriously considering an X1800XL for my next video card upgrade.

Don't get the XL. It sucks compared to the 7800GT..

david_1475 said:
Each card is capable of flogging the other, depending on the game being played.

That pretty much sums it all up. The hardware specs rarely mean ANYTHING when it comes to video cards, especially when comparing nVidia and ATi since its like comparing Intel and AMD. And don't compare the X800GT to the other X800s, especially the XT and XL. The X800GT was designed to be a midrange videocard, and performs MUCH worse than the others, while the X800XT and X800XL were designed to be performance (though they didn't perform that well, lol).

6600GT has SM3 and some other things going for it that the X800GT doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom