new guy here, I have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't discount AMD X2s. Deciding purely on gigahertz isn't a smart thing to do (deciding purely on money could be :) ) AMDs and Intels don't work the same. Just because AMDs have lower gigahert marks doesn't mean they aren't as good. In a lot of cases AMD beats Intel even when Intel has a higher speed rating. If you can't afford an AMD X2 you might want to think about just getting a single core processor with more speed. whether it's an AMD or Intel.

Yes, but I have read in lots of places that I need about 3.0Ghz to run CAD, so how can I convert the speed AMD gives me into what Intel gives me?

I'm gonna change that: I just did a search and it says "Intel Pentium 4 or later, with 1.8 Ghz or faster processor, or compatible "

So that's not really that bad - I can deal with a mid-range 2.something processor. What about you gaming guys, is 2.4ish pretty okay? I'd be overclocking it probably till about 2.6, so that's a plus.

The AMD numbering scheme works like this...

3000+ is equal to or better than a P4 3.0GHz

4000+ is equal to or better than a P4 4.0GHZ

Does that help it to make sense?

another problem with that is the X2 3800- equivalent to a 3.8GHz intel no. equivalent to 2 3.8GHz no. is the 4000 single core better,no.
AMD would like you to believe that their 4000 is = to a 4.0 GHz pentium but i for one find that hard to believe

No, it's not equal. Actually, it is better.

I have an old socket A AMD 2000+. It'll run rings around a P4 2.0, and would give a 2.4 a run for its money. And, no, it is not overclocked.

Oh, did I mention that AMDs run cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom