Installing a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
Ok so I recently got a new hard drive, a 250 GB SATA hard drive to be specific. Now I am wondering what would be the best way to go about installing it. Heres some challenges that I face:

1. I plan on partitioning 200 gb of this to windows, and the other to a linux installation.

2. My windows installation really needs reformatting because the file system is fragmented to the point where it won't let me defrag. If I reformat windows will I also have to wipe linux off the partition when I plan on doing this?

3. Will I have to make changes in the BIOS to allow recognition of a SATA hard drive, will I need to do anything in windows (xp pro) to get it to recognize the drive.

I already have 2 30 GB SATA raptor hard drives installed and working, so I'm thinking I wont have to do anything with some of the drivers. Should I just reformat windows first before I put in this new drive, or can I do it and worry about windows later?

I don't think you have to wipe linux off if its on a partition, you should just be able to reformat windows. Its just a re-install, right?

The BIOS should just recognise the hard drive as far as I know.

Don't take my word for it, jus my input.. Lol.

1. ok?

2. no

3. maybe disable raid for that port.

3 1/2. No since you already have sata drivers installed

BTW, what brand is the 250(my money is on maxtor)

Mr_Threepwood said:
Ok so I recently got a new hard drive, a 250 GB SATA hard drive to be specific. Now I am wondering what would be the best way to go about installing it. Heres some challenges that I face:

1. I plan on partitioning 200 gb of this to windows, and the other to a linux installation.

2. My windows installation really needs reformatting because the file system is fragmented to the point where it won't let me defrag. If I reformat windows will I also have to wipe linux off the partition when I plan on doing this?

3. Will I have to make changes in the BIOS to allow recognition of a SATA hard drive, will I need to do anything in windows (xp pro) to get it to recognize the drive.

I already have 2 30 GB SATA raptor hard drives installed and working, so I'm thinking I wont have to do anything with some of the drivers. Should I just reformat windows first before I put in this new drive, or can I do it and worry about windows later?

1. Partition the first 200GB using Windows setup. Leave the remaining 50GB unallocated. Then install Linux and follow setup instructions.

2. Not neccesarely. You will either need a Linux geek to reconfigure LILO, or use a third party program like System Commander or Boot Magic to regain dual boot abilities. (you can mostly use the Linux disc or floppy though)

3. You have to install the SATA drivers when installing Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom