format not supported on drive c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winta

Beta member
ive got windows XP and when i use a 98 startup disk to get onto dos, and i type format c: - its sez that format is not supported on drive c:

:(

duz anyone know how to get past this problem...
my hard drive isnt partitioned if that helps?

when i boot from the Xp disk it just goes to set up widows agen on top of the current one, hmm ill jus give it a quick try now.

and i think its NTSF.

You can use the XP disk like ek said, however the reason why you cannot format drive C: with your Win98 boot disk is because you have a NTFS partition that you are trying to format. When you use the 98 boot disk go into "fdisk". Then you have to delete the NTFS partition. You will have to select Delete "Non-DOS" parition. The boot disk will then display the NTFS partition. Then you have to create a primary partition. After you create the FAT32 partition, you have to reboot and then you will be able to use the "format c: /s" command.

-Mike

Winta said:
ive got windows XP and when i use a 98 startup disk to get onto dos, and i type format c: - its sez that format is not supported on drive c:

:(

duz anyone know how to get past this problem...
my hard drive isnt partitioned if that helps?

If you have a Windows2000 or Windows XP disk you can achieve this. In the BIOS set your PC to boot from the CD-ROM drive first then once it boots into the XP/2K setup select the partition C: then format using NTFS then it will load the needed setup files. I am assuimg this will be the master drive since it has the C: label. If it is a slave you can format within windows.

You have a NTFS filesystem - So you cannot actually format it from the dos prompt. But ofcourse you could simply use the fdisk utility and delete the Non DOS Partition from there....

Re: Re: format not supported on drive c:

Win2kpatcher said:
If you have a Windows2000 or Windows XP disk you can achieve this. In the BIOS set your PC to boot from the CD-ROM drive first then once it boots into the XP/2K setup select the partition C: then format using NTFS then it will load the needed setup files. I am assuimg this will be the master drive since it has the C: label. If it is a slave you can format within windows.
this is the way to go,,boot from cd first,if you see a partion,, delete it,let xp create new then you should be allset, if SP1 is not on cd get it you will need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom