OS doesnt install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid State Member
My computer had been working fine but was running a bit slow so i formatted my pc and installed, everything worked fine until i got to format it is now coming up with an error once it gets to the ntfs format saying.

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure your drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk,make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information."

Before doing this i remember going into bios and did load optimal defaults and i remember formating partition E: which i dont know what was on there.

Windows xp sp2
Pentium 4 2.6 ghz
Soltek sl-865pe-775g
radeon 9800 pro
Maxtor serial ata 80 gb hdd

Do i need to get sata drivers and use f6?
I didnt have to do that when i first built my computer and installed xp so does anyone have any ideas?

Nope its a sata hdd and for some reason fat32 format isnt an option its only got ntfs.
And i cant find any format software have you got a link?

Are you trying to format through windows or buy the XP CD

because if your formating from windows it will not be possible because windows is using drive C so u need to boot to XP cd rom

ok ive worked out how to do fat32 but it still has the same error message. i searched for what you told me and i really have no clue on what to do, everything i found doesnt explain anything
Basically what happens is after the part that lets you choose "ntfs partition system" and "ntfs partition system(quick)", it gets to 100% formating then stops and the error appears.
and when i said its not a scsi drive i dont actually know, it didnt come with a manual or anything how would i tell?

47 said:
Nope its a sata hdd and for some reason fat32 format isnt an option its only got ntfs.
And i cant find any format software have you got a link?

I don't know much about SATA, but I doubt you can't use FAT32.

You have to press F6 to install SATA drivers, then format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom