Ooooh ... another simple question about duel channel ddr

Status
Not open for further replies.

lws_junior

Baseband Member
The Asus p4p800e delux motherboard which is will accept duel channel ddr memory. Is duel channel memory different than standard memory other than you will need two sticks of ram rather than one (2 x 512 ddr400)?

Also will this motherboard accept just one stick of ddr ram opposed two two (1 x 512 ddr400)

Lastly I've read that the ram is dependent upon the processors fsb. The processor I plan to use is a Intel Celeron D 2.8 ghz. 533 FSB. I would take it that I can then use DDR400 ram ??

Thanks

Well the ram itself is not dual channel, dual channel depends on your motherboard.

You need same size, and an even number of sticks of ram. Preferably the same brand, speed, and timings. To avoid any possible problems.

And you can run with only 1 stick. You just wont get the dual channel feature.

Exactly. Dual channel needs RAM to be in pairs. Identical sticks is the only way to go. Don't expect to ebay some RAM and since they have similar timings, they won't necessarilly run in dual channel. Get matching sticks.

Ryan

To ustalise dual channel you need to have dual (2) identical sticks of RAM. Same size, type, etc. Buying one cant use dual channel because there is only one stick of RAM and dual means 2.
EDIT: Missed a O

Thank you for explaining. I noticed that the mobo has two sets of dimm sockets. Is the placement of a single stick of 512 ram critical? This mobo has two set of dimm sockets. Each set has both a blue and a black socket.

Another issue which is confusing. The ASUS p4p800e delux motherboard. Plan to run a small 2.4 p4 prescot 533 fsb. Would I be able to install pc3200 memory (with the 533 fsb processor). Last evening I read a report by Kingston that It was suggested using pc2700 with use of a 533 fsb processor (pc3200 with a 800 fsb). Now I do have a cheap Soyo board with a Celeron 2.7 processor and a 256mhz stick of Kingston pc3200 ram and it's working fine. Rather confusing. Can someone explain the relationship between the processors fsb and ram (if any).

Thanks.

um, if it suggested using PC2700, then your board probably tops out on DDR333, so if you do use PC3200, then it'll downclock and work fine at DDR333 speeds. If you do have matching sticks, and would like to utilize your dual channel feature, then you should place the two matching sticks in the matching color slots. I dunno if that processor supports dual channel anyway... anyone know for sure?

Ryan

Ya, I got the same mobo, it can use 3200. You should be able to overclock the 2.4GHz to about 3.2GHz with 3200, assuming it's a cely D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom