Building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Before I start, does anyone know if taxes are included (with TigerDirect.ca)? I live in Quebec, so how is that gonna work? Is it different cos it's online or what? Please someone just explain the pricing.

I'm trying to build a computer for < $1000. Close to $800 would be amazing (All in Canadian funds). I definatley want to keep the card as a 6800 (and I'm tempted to have it at 256 MB of video memory). I just want to be able to play games like BF2, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 at upper-medium graphics. Here's what I got so far:

**Scrapped the old setup, made a new one, the old one was terrible!**

***Scrapped yet again...***

teh_omar said:
Alright, I took most of your advice guys. The hard drive is now a Seagate rather than a Maxtor, memory is now Kingston rather than Geil, changed the motherboard from Asus to DFI and the 450 watt Kingwin is now a 430 watt Thermaltake. This is my setup right now,
please tell me if this works and if I can change anything for the better:

Case: Xion II Black ATX Case

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 6800 256MB DDR PCI-E

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Optical Drive: Lite-on DVD-RW 16x

Hard Drive: Seagate 160 GB SATA-300

Motherboard: DFI NF4 DAGF NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX

PSU: Thermaltake 430-watt ATX

Memory: OCZ 1024MB PC3200

Final price with shipping and handling: $1,319.04

...why you getting two completly different video cards??
Maxtor hdd's are known for dying soon... so i would go with seagate or western digital

Static_11 said:
...why you getting two completly different video cards??
Maxtor hdd's are known for dying soon... so i would go with seagate or western digital

whoops, forgot to take it out. **Edited**

Added another possibilty (excluding the case though) But I think this one's much better overall, what do you think?

XFX 6800 256mb
1024mb 3200 GeIL RAM
AMD 3500+
Socket 939 Asus Motherboard
160gb SATA150 Maxtor Hard drive
Black Lite-On DVD Burner
450-Watt Kingwin Power Supply
Total cost-$1,069.91

Ok for starts, don't Buy Ultra branded PSU's for that Matter never ever think of buying an X-connect ever again.

Heres a better Power suppy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

and if you want to spend more on a even better one just say so.

Better RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450
And Actually You can get much better Ram for 161$

And why not go for Socket 939. 754 cannot utilize dual channel.

and After more people edit you build, you may have money for a 6800.

Thanks for the advice, but remember I'm trying to not be too hard on my wallet here. Besides, don't expect heavy duty usage from this thing, I'm not one of those extreme gamers who's on the pc 24/7 and goes to lan parties every night.

if you spend more money now, you'll spend less money later

in other words, if you get a maxtor, it will die and you'll have to buy a new harddrive. you might as well have spent the money for a western digital or a seagate or hitachi.

when your geil ram dies and cant make it through memtest 86, you'll need to get new memory, where you might as well have gotten corsair or OCZ.

saome goes with the asus board and the power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom