Overcolocking Processor PLEASE REPLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, how rude.

Well if you ask me Overclocking is pretty simple. When I first overclocked I used programs like CPUIdle(well actually I still do) to cool down my CPU so it doesnt overheat too much, but with higher end processors those programs don't work well anyways.

All you have to do is enter your BIOS(if you don't know how to do this maybe you shouldn't be considering how to do this), but since you won't listen to me anyways, you do that by clicking DEL when your system boots.

In you BIOS you would want to find "Advance ChipSet Features" or if your BIOS supports other OCing utilities it should be pretty obvious. Find your cpu speed/multiplier and change their values.

If you system doesn't have the CPU speeds locked at a certain point, you can freely change the value of your cpu Clock/Multiplier. I have tried overclocking by changing the Clock speed but I did not see any significant difference, but when I change the multiplier, the differences are easily seen.

Equation for your CPU speed(pretty obvious): Clock*Multiplier=CPU Speed

Since your CPU speed is at 2.8GHZ you might want to OC it to about 3 to 3.2 GHZ depending on the cooling you have.

You might also want to do some research to see what Multiplier/Core Clock a CPU of the same family who is a level or two above yours have, you will get better performance if your Multiplier/Clock is matched correctly.

RockyZ said:
Wow, how rude.

Well if you ask me Overclocking is pretty simple. When I first overclocked I used programs like CPUIdle(well actually I still do) to cool down my CPU so it doesnt overheat too much, but with higher end processors those programs don't work well anyways.

All you have to do is enter your BIOS(if you don't know how to do this maybe you shouldn't be considering how to do this), but since you won't listen to me anyways, you do that by clicking DEL when your system boots.

In you BIOS you would want to find "Advance ChipSet Features" or if your BIOS supports other OCing utilities it should be pretty obvious. Find your cpu speed/multiplier and change their values.

If you system doesn't have the CPU speeds locked at a certain point, you can freely change the value of your cpu Clock/Multiplier. I have tried overclocking by changing the Clock speed but I did not see any significant difference, but when I change the multiplier, the differences are easily seen.

Equation for your CPU speed(pretty obvious): Clock*Multiplier=CPU Speed

Since your CPU speed is at 2.8GHZ you might want to OC it to about 3 to 3.2 GHZ depending on the cooling you have.

You might also want to do some research to see what Multiplier/Core Clock a CPU of the same family who is a level or two above yours have, you will get better performance if your Multiplier/Clock is matched correctly.

thanks your the only helpful person im kinda pmsing about my choppy game so i wasnt in a good mood and i thouhgt maybe i could get some help because my computer was being dumb and i didnt really get any helpful comments so it didnt help my mood. I never knew there was overclocking programs that you could use to do this for you CPUand.. do you have to buy them? cause im kinda broke right now. Yeah im not sure what kind of cooling i have right now but What kind of cooling would i need to raise it to 3/3.2? do i need like a water cooled fan with some massive heat sync's..lol and a another upgrade .... well i hope not because i have absolutely no money, otherwise i think my freind can help me with getting into BIOS and those acronymes i cant figure out:confused: . Thank you very much Rocky Z.
:)

Oops I left out a pretty important thing.

If you system locks up after oyu overclock it or you notice some weird problems, try increasing your CPU voltage, I do not use Intels, I personally hate Intels, so I wouldn't knwo their stock voltages, but in AMD processors raising it by about 1.5V would be good.

When you start up your computer you should have a message that says "Press delete to enter setup," in that screen there will be some options, find the option where it lets you edit your CPU Multiplier/Clock. If you can't get it, I'm sure your friend can help you with that.

You can get programs to keep your CPU cool, it basically gives you good timing for when your CPU should be running at lower efficency. But if you are using your computer for gaming or other things that require high percentage of usage for your PC, it wouldn't really matter because your CPU is running at 100% anyways.

Programs such as CPU Idle is not free, but there are ways to get around it, instant message me about it on AIM (my sn:SoulHarvesterZZ). If you do not have AIM, just send me a PM.

Do you have a Factory Built Computer(urgh, such profanity)? If you do then overclocking is probably not a good choice because you might have trouble with overheating. Only small cooling systems would fit in your case, the only thing I can think of is a water cooling system or a new case, both costing you over 70 dollars, and you said you were broke, so thsoe wouldn't be good options.

be very careful about temps and just do it slowly. don't jump the speed massivly and use a program like prime 95 to test stability

oops wrong place to put decimal, lol, I actually meant like .15V, EX:1.5->1.65, my bad :p hope you didn't break anything listening to my bad advice.

well u shouldnt be overclocking there dude

hey man well its not really cpu code its just simpple words consisting processors and with u dont really know what those words and stuff mean u shouldnt overclock... but if u dont care best way to overclock is in your bios man proubly using f1 or del at boot and then go to advance features or something i belive your cpu is a quad pump fsb which is 200x4 = 800mhz fsb with a multiplier of 14 equals 2.8ghz so start with a fsb of like 230mhz and remeber not all bios allow overclocking and more mhz more voltage.. skeet skeet

k ill keep that in mind im not really that good with computer but my friends a little smarty....lol. I think i could figure out how to do it ...trial and error (naah jk) . but yeah i think ill be good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom