Failing chipset/motherboard Heatsink fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidicRage

Baseband Member
A few months ago, a weird noise problem started coming out of the computer. I took the comp apart and then found out that the motherboard HEATSINK, not the CPU heatsink was failing. Now this motherboard came with its own heatsink, so I went to some local computer shop and they said that I must call the manufacturer and tell them about it. So I e-mailed Giga-Byte and now I am still awaiting for a reply. What would happen if the fan is fails for the motherboard heatsink? Would it cause any hardware damage or errors around it?

Btw, this is what I'm talking about:

Anyway to replace the whole heatsink or just fan? (Maybe need a specific size?)

Attachments

• vehicle.bmp
    87.1 KB · Views: 85
Just about any PC specific store should carry these. Unbolt the old one and install a new one. Or is it one of the ones that is soldered onto the board? If thats the case still purchase a new one with the same type of power connector and install it elsewhere on the board.

Well, I went to the store and they didn't have teh right side. They had one of those VGA fans which are bigger.

fans are a stupid idea for the (southbridge/ northbridge, forgot what that is called.), they don't get hot enough to need a fan. go passive, Bleep nailed it. look for another store or wait til the backorder is cleared.

if your fan completely fails it will not damge anything. in fact i would just let it die or disconnect it now and not even bother replacing it.

Ok, so I went out to a few stores and bought some chipset cooling kits. The thing is that there were these aluminium "crystal coolers" that either were 40mm or 50mm, and there was a fan of 50mm, so that wasn't the correct size. I believe after reading and looking at my case, that I can either install a brand new heatsink fan combo, or just replace the fan. The weird thing is that the heatsink is glued onto the Northbridge and then these nuts are screwed at each end, so I guess it would just be easier to replace the fan or use some other type of cooling. Now, the 50mm fan I bought is too large, so I will return it and get a 40mm fan. I looked at the OLD fan, and it seems that the screws were just screwed INTO the heatsink plates, like the screws just went into the dividers of the heatsink which I thought was weird because I thought there would be actual holes for the screws on 4 sides (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right), but it appears the heatsink that the motherboard has, has no holes for the screws, and you just screw them into the dividing walls of the heatsink so they just stay in place....

And also, there are also some designated chipset coolers designed especially for my I845 chip on the newegg, so I might TRY those, but that would mean I have to take off the heatsink and glue onto a new one....

OK. I just bought another 40mm fan to replace. Now the question is which side is it suppose to be? I got one of these standard AAVID 12V 40mm fans, but I don't know which side they are on. What I hear is to have to screw in it with the logo top side facing top, but my OLD 40mm fan that was included in the Giga-byte motherboard has it the OTHER way around. Also, this fan if I switch it around, in the four screw holes, it is indented further meaning that possibly it is suppose to install with the brand logo facing DOWN onto the heatsink. Now, I can't find any indication of which way is it facing nor can I feel it by plugging the molex connectors to see which way is sucking the air, and which way is blowing the air. There are no arrows or anything.

Do you overclock? If not I say throw the stupid thing on there. You don't need it, passive cooling will run just fine if your CPU is at stock speeds , so it doesn't really matter which way it goes. If you REALLY care, you can install the fan, turn it on, blow out a match and hold it up to it and see if the smoke is sucked in or blown out. That should tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom