Dual Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprooty

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

Im upgrading soon and my 1st choice was to go with an AMD X2 3800+, all i basically do on the computer is game.. so i was told by a friend that the singlel core AMD cpus will perform better for games. But i said dual cores will have a big advantage when games come out supportting dual core.

So right now i am wondering how long it will actaully be until we see dual core games? because for the same price i can get an AMD 64 4000+ but i remember the saying you guys have

"You can overclock a dual core to sigle core speeds but you can't overclock a single core to dual core speeds"

so im gussing that means the X2 is better?

any input would greatly be apreciated.

Actually I don't think there is a difference in gaming? Anyways either of which can be overclocked pretty high. You can't go wrong either way.

I think a video game called FEAR that was released last week supports the Dual Core processors. One core for physics and the other for everything else i think..... Not really sure on this though.....

Hmm, well not a lot of new games are coming out right now, I guess, but I'd say in about a year games will become fully Dual Core.

I don't know which one to recommend for you. A single core CPU will still last a pretty long time, but Dual Core will slowly become the standard. I guess it all depends on whether you want your PC futureproof or if you're ok with getting another PC in 1 1/2 years time.

But if you're aiming to build a PC for a specific game right now (Like Battlefield 2, really popular) then I'd go with the 4000+ which can be overclocked to FX-57 speeds relatively simply.

Then again, you could overclock the X2 3800+ to 2.5GHz and then that'd be like having TWO 4000+s, lol.

your dual core wont really be future proof sense they will come out with a new socket, and people will buy that and yours will be old lol. but that wont be a while trust me

You can always OC a dual core processor to single core speeds, but you can not OC a single core processors to dual core speeds

If you plan on OC I would get the 4200+ because I didn't know this when I got mine but the 3800+ only has a regular aluminum heatsink but I believe the 4200+ comes with the better copper one with heatpipes

Socket M2 has NO effect at all on whether his system will be future-proof or not. Dual core is dual core. Only thing difference about socket M2 from Socket 939 is the DDR2 RAM. Games and processes will run on M2 just like they will on Socket 939.

mooseman said:
If you plan on OC I would get the 4200+ because I didn't know this when I got mine but the 3800+ only has a regular aluminum heatsink but I believe the 4200+ comes with the better copper one with heatpipes

i have a Gigabyte G-Power Pro that is supported by S939, it currently keeps my 3.2Ghz Prescot under 33*c idle and 50 underload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom