DSL house to house

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirem

In Runtime
Dont post here and say it cant be done if you have no experience with this.

Im about to buy 10 highpass filters and 2 dsl modems. My friend and i want to hook up these modems and then dial into one anothers computers. Basically we'd have our own little VPN. I dont know if that can be done but ill have to figure it out. Has anyone played with this idea before? Does it work? Im also considering having a middle man (a server). You connect to the server and then you can see all the other computers that have connected. The best part about it is I wouldnt be dam*ed to my 40KiB upload speed. Please post if youve tried.. or know how to set up a server like that.

So basically you want to create a sort of ISP just between yourselves? Well yes that is possible. You'll need to have some hardware like they have at the ISP though, for the other end of the DSL connection. You won't be able to do it just between two computers I don't think,t he server will be necessary because of the hardware.

on the contrary antirem, you're friend and you cannot do that unless you can convince the phone companies you run through to take off that little low pass filter they put on everyone's phone lines...you see the phone companies actually put this on there and require you to PAY for you to take it off.....this cuts down your phone line capabilities to only talking on the phone....BLEH! so unless it was a direct line connection, then NO you cannot

I don't pretend to be all that much of an expert in this, but surely your neighbour can just get a wireless router, and a signal booster, and then get yourself a wireless card and hook in?

dnoch said:
I don't pretend to be all that much of an expert in this, but surely your neighbour can just get a wireless router, and a signal booster, and then get yourself a wireless card and hook in?

That sounds more realistic. Either that or run an rj-45 under the ground to your neighbors house

well...lets stick to HIS concept, he's not asking if anyone knows a way to get it...he wants to know about doing it via DSL modems....and btw im the friend he's talkin about, and we live about 15 miles apart ^_^

dnoch said:
but surely your neighbour can just get a wireless router, and a signal booster, and then get yourself a wireless card and hook in?
Or a bit of CAT5 Cable going through some garden hose, and then bury it under the ground.

Mind you, your ISP might ingor this, but your local coucil might not.

If you are trying to set up a VPN, it's doable. However at work, we are using Server 2003 to do it with.

What are you trying to do, if it just file sharing, have you thought about setting up your own FTP.

lol why are people suggesting ALTERNATIVES! XD we're looking to set it up STRICTLY through DSL modems, trust us when we say that we've indulged in other methods as well...XD

I've setup VPN's through Windows Server before but never through the way your doing it.

Also I know if you were to have say for example a Smoothwall Firewall box setup, you can setup a simple VPN that way between two networks

This isn't far-fetched. You don't really need anything more than a long cable (if you want to think simplistic).

Practical would be a wireless setup, like suggested.

You don't need much else.

Heck, if you've both got the internet, your ISP's have done the work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom