popped my overclock cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.
charles_scott said:
Have you tryed losening the memory timings and lowering there max speed down some?

Are you talking about the SPD timings (CAS Latency, RAS to CAS, RAS Precharge, TRas)? If so, no I have not, I've been told to not touch those and to leave them at their factory settings. I don't know enough about what those are yet to comfortably mess with them.

idiotec said:
but you could put a larger divider on it, and see if that is the current limiting factor.

So changing it from 166? What is your suggestion... when you say make a larger divider, is that going up to 200 or down to 100? --Sorry for the ignorance :p

charles_scott said:
>_< Try lowering the speed of the ram from there current settings to the next lowest then.....

So I changed the values down one like you suggested:

Stock -> 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8
Mod -> 2 - 2 - 2 - 7

Went up to 250 and vCore to 1.7 and Prime95 failed in the first minute.

no no no, I can see how you'd mistake this when he said 'lowered' but by 'lowering' in terms of RAM timings he means loosen aka RAISE the RAM timings....lower numbers = faster when it comes to the timings, so you made it more unstable....the RAM that is...you tried putting it at tighter timings at a much higher speed which you don't want to do.

You're getting a bit over your head at this point, so you need to step back and just make sure you know enough about the dividers, can get the CPU stable, the HTT and so forth.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3393

about 3/4 down the page is all the RAM timings you could ever know, and most you won't know and/or even see on that board.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397

also shows all the RAM timings and a little more info about each.

Sorry, i was rather sleepy and should have explained better, i was talking about the max memclock, reason i said lower that was because he didnt make the timings looser..... >_<

snowpunk said:
So I changed the values down one like you suggested:

Stock -> 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8
Mod -> 2 - 2 - 2 - 7

Went up to 250 and vCore to 1.7 and Prime95 failed in the first minute.

So are you saying to change them from 2.5-3-3-8 to 3.0-4-4-9??

Try to get them to stabalize at 3-3-3-8 if not then 3-4-4-9, thats what i had to do... But wait for nubius official answer because my self am not very well experienced with RAM timings.

snowpunk said:
So are you saying to change them from 2.5-3-3-8 to 3.0-4-4-9??
I would advise not touching those settings at this point, just leave it on 'use SPD settings' or 'auto' whatever your BIOS says for default settings.

At this point, you don't even know if it is your RAM causing the limitation. I would advise changing the RAM divider so that your RAM stays under 200 even with HTT above 240. You said you currently had your RAM divider set at 166, lower it to something like 133, what ever the next option is. If you can then get it to stabilize above 240HTT, you know its your RAM causing the issue.

AFTER, this, you can then think about putting the divider back up and loosening timings, but at this point I think it is jumping the gun.

idiotec said:
You said you currently had your RAM divider set at 166, lower it to something like 133, what ever the next option is. If you can then get it to stabilize above 240HTT, you know its your RAM causing the issue.

I tried that and I got the same result... after pushing it up to 245 (not even 250 this time) and raising CPU volatge I stilll cannot pass Prime95.

snowpunk said:
I tried that and I got the same result... after pushing it up to 245 (not even 250 this time) and raising CPU volatge I stilll cannot pass Prime95.
Just to confirm everything is working right, you could post a pick of CPU-z (CPU AND Memory Tab), but assuming the dividers are working correctly, your RAM is still under stock at 245, so that takes it out of play.

It might just be a shyte chip that is maxing at 2.4... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom