i get bsod or comp freezes when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankiedacranki

Baseband Member
yeah so i'm installing a game patch that is around 250mb big and i get a BSOD... so i tried again to install the patch and this time my computer freezes so that i can't type or move my mouse cursor....
i just recently purchased a set of new rams 512x2 and i know i placed it correctly into the ram slots...
as a cpu nooblet, my question is what could be the cause of this?
if you could give me some advices plz~~
i'm not posting my cpu specc b/c i'm thinking that is irrelevent to this problem but if it is needed then i'll post it.

oh yeah another fact is that i thought that the window had some corrupted files or something so i tried to reformat my hard drive and still i either got the blue screen or the screen freeze while in the windows setup screen....

The patch has a driver error.

To fix it:

Right before Windows boots, tap F8 - then choose Safe Mode
Then unistall the patch and your computer will work again

I got rid of the patch and now I tried to reformat the hard drive and it happened again... =(
the screen kept on freezing or I get the bsod...
could it be that something's wrong with my motherboard or processor? Or perhaps my current hard drive itself?

tony said:
Hi Guys

Just check this new ecommerce Portal www.itgrabber.com

What the hell does that have to do with this conversation?

Frank: download memtest 86, burn .iso file to a Blank disc then boot off of it and let those tests run for a few hours to know if RAM is bad.

We'll go from there.

tony said:
Hi Guys

Just check this new ecommerce Portal www.itgrabber.com

Blatant advertising, BAN.

Frank, what windows are you running? And yes I would say as a rule of thum whenever you get a new stick of RAM run memtest.

And what game patch is this, I'm interested in knowing.

I'm running on windows xp and the game is world of warcraft.
But the bigger issue is that even now that I'm not trying to install the patch but rather reformat my hard drive same thing happens =( screen either freezes or I get a bsod...
for now I'm trying to run memtest

If you have a floppy, you can also just download the pre-compiled package for floppy and run it off of that. theres no difference between them, whats his name probably just assumed lots of ppl no longer have floppy drives. at www.memtest.org
-------------------------------

when you reformat with the XP cd, dont do 'Quick format' select the non-quick format option, that checks the disk for errors befor it intsalls... you can also get free aplications that will check your disk from the manufacturues website -example - Western digital has there DLG tools that you can check the disk with.

Since adding new ram to your system has maybe been the only change since you started experiencing the BSOD screen, then i'm sure its safe to assume that the new ram is simply defective. Oddly enough, this is an issue i seem to come accross often - especially when customers cheap out and go for the 'value' ram.

Return it to the store for an exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom