3dMark05 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeslangley

Baseband Member
Guys,

I am busy reading through the thread about 3dmark and havea few questions.

When you run the app you get a number of options to tick, do these options effect the score you receive.

What I mean by this is that a person scoring 2000 points with the default free trail version could then register the full version and enable a few extra buttons and either score more or less ?

Waht effects the score?

well we all go buy the default.. all the enable stuff would most likely make u score less because u could possibly enable anti alasing or anistropic filtering which would put more of a toll on ur graphics card and run the program slower and yes u would see a lower score result. or if you turned the resolution up u would also see a cut out of your score

Surely then that makes the test a load of poo?

If you enable AA and what not or increase the resolution then your score should be increased.

Cheers for you response

no because unless you bought the full version you aren't allowed to change most of the settings.....just leave them alone and that gives everyone a basis for scoring.

If you enable AA and what not or increase the resolution then your score should be increased.
no it shouldn't....you enable AA your FPS will go down...it calculates the score based on your FPS over the period of time it takes the test to finish.

your FPS goes down, your score goes down

Agreed, however the actual test is there fore a false result.

The test as I understand is to illustrate the 3d performance on your computer, now based on what we have just said here a person running a newly built beast with the latest hardware could run the test with high AA and res settings enabled and score a lower score than somebody with a medium spec machine running with no AA and 1024 res.

In some tests the older machine could produce a score 2000 points higher, yet the newer machine is clearly the better machine.

Do you see my point ?

this is why, as we've told you a few times now...as the generic standard testing for all people who use 3dmark...you leave it on default settings...if you want to turn up AA you'd have to state those settings and have people run it at the same...this is why theres ORB, a website that keeps track of what you've run it at, on what hardware and what your score is for comparative reasons.

Theres no point to run it with higher AA unless you simply wish to see what those little tests look like with it turned up...otherwise if you want to compare it against other peoples computers, like them you'd leave it all default settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom