Server Crashed, trying to restore from tape drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

knerrmj

Baseband Member
Hi all,

The server at work recently had the raid 5 array fail. I had to format the drives and reconfigure the raid setup.

Now I'm in the process of restoring the data that we had backed up. We use a tape drive to do our backups and have a 6 tape set. When I start to catalogue the tapes in veritas it only goes to the second tape and says it finished successfully. I can only restore the first two tapes because of this.

Why is this? How can I get the data off of the other tapes? Is there software out there that I can use or some secret that I don't know about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since this is urgent business.

Have you tried just a restore? Rather than running a catalog? What I usually do (Veritas Backup Exec 10) is go to the DEVICES section then on the tape drive device I go to the SLOTS area. Enter all the tapes into the drive and right-click on SLOTS and run an inventory.

Once the inventory is complete right-click on one of the tapes and select RESTORE. There you should see the catalogs that were already created with the backups that ran. Select the appropriate date and select the contents you want to restore. It should be able to load the needed tapes as it reads the data from various tapes.

This server is old and I can only run one tape at a time. They're too cheap to buy updated versions of software like veritas, we're running version 8.x.

I tried it by doing an inventory of each tape but when I go straight to the restore without the catalogue process it doesn't show me any media to select for the restore.

What is do is go into the log and find the date(s) I want to back up then when I click restore, it will ask me for the tape so I just insert the tape that it calls for and it restores it

Since I had to format the HD's, there is no backup information for me to choose from.

I tried to just inventory the tapes and do a restore from there but there is no media available for me to select when I do this. That is my reason for doing the catalogue but that way will only do the first two tapes.

Is there a way for me to retrieve the data off of the tapes indivudually like copy and paste or just see what is on the tapes for that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom