Computer problem after power outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulberry

Beta member
Hello, I'm new here :D. I hope I posted this in the correct section, if not, please move it, thanks.

I was running a program (WC3) that takes up a lot of my CPU usage, around ~45% at least, when there was a sudden power outrage in my area.

After the outrage, my comp would make a "click" sound once in a while. After the click sound, the comp freezes until the second "click" comes, which is usually 2-3 seconds after the first click. The click is coming from the computer itself and not the speakers. I'm still able to run all my programs ok, except for these click-freezes. They occur about once every 10-15 mins. Sometimes two sets of clicks occur in a 10 second period.

I've uninstalled WC3 since then (a file was corrupt).

I ran ScanDisk and it did some repairs. I also ran some antiviruses and everything's clean. The problem still remains though.

I really have no idea what the problem is and what to do next.

Thanks in advance.

It might be a hardware problem. Some power outages are know to cause issues due to the fact that it causes sudden surges to the PC right before it happens. This could have happened to you. What else were you running on the PC at the time of the outage? Are you on dial-up, dsl, or cable?

Hi, thanks for the reply! I was also running MSN and maybe bittorrent as well. I'm on Cable.

Is there a hardware checking program that I can run?

Sounds like something got a little toasted. First thing I'd do, right now, is backup everything. That sound is most-likely yer HDD having a problem.

that's what i was about to say. it's most likely a HDD issue. your drive is dying or partially dead and i suggest you backup your personal data soon before you perform the following.

to see if you can recover your hdd, go to your drive's manufacturer's site and download a tool program which will allow you to do some error checking on your drive and tell you its status. that same tool might be able to fix those issues. read manuals and follow instructions carefully! a low-lvel format using this tools might help but i doubt it.

also check with your manufacturer if the wrranty is still valid and do the easy thing: get a replacement. i've had to do that with my WD drives 3 times without them asking questions.

hope i helped.

Thanks guys. I was hoping it could be rescued without being replaced, but no such luck I suppose. :( Oh well, at least I'll be able to convince my parents to buy me a faster one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom