New Build - Can't Load OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
so your friend copied program files or personal files? are the HDds IDE or Sata, because if its IDE be sure you have it jumpered right.

orangeman1980 said:
It is an install cd that I used on my previous computer

If it's a recovery CD for a name brand computer it will never work correctly on a different machine. You are hosed here.

If it's a real Windows CD with the hologram, etc. you have a hardware problem.

Oh, I gotcha, it's hooked up with an ide cable. I'll take a look at the jumper when I get home, I'm sure the jumper is all the way to the right, closest to the ide cable. I believe he copied all files from the hard drive, being both personal and program.

Sending this to troubleshooting for you

Are you positive it isn't a SATA drive as what you are describing sounds a lot like you simply didn't install the SATA motherboard drivers before the XP installation starts

If it were a problem with actual master/slave jumpers your computer would most likely pop up an error during the POST...either that or your BIOS isn't configured with the proper boot order and/or you have an IDE setting messed up somewhere

Anyways, if it is IDE make sure the hard drive is on IDE channel 1 and is set to master...your CD can either be IDE1 slave or IDE2 master whatever you choose...boot order should be CD first, and all IDE channels should be enabled

Yeah, I'm sure its IDE, the SATA outputs on the motherboard are empty, I remember because I couldn't figure out what they were when I was putting this thing together. I'm sure the boot sequence is set up correctly. The HD is set to master1 with an empty slave 1, and the cd (which actually is a dvd-rw, but I don't think that should have anything to do with it) is on master 2 with an empty slave 2. Where would I look to check my IDE settings?

ok, everything seems to be leading up to this message:

"The file partmgr.sys is corrupted
press any key to continue"

then the system asks to reboot. Is this the disk?

Hi There

You can use a win98 startup disk if you done have any XP floppy disks.and at the a prompt type fidisk and see what partitions you have you can delete all partitions and then make a actine dos partition.You will lose everything on your drive though.I just repaired a asus and the bios wouldnt let me boot off the cdrom unless i disabled the hard drive.So i did that and then it booted off the CD rom witch is wierd for a newer Motherboard but was the case.After windows installed and was rebooting i went back into bios and reinabled the hard drive so it would boot off it. Anyway just some ideas and a couple of options...Good Luck

Alright, I put the new hard drive in my old computer and installed, successfully, Windows. When I put the hard drive in my new case, it comes up with this error message:

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHDKS /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical Information: STOP 0x0000007B (0xF7C7A640, 0xC0000034,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom