Unmountable_boot_volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoto512

Baseband Member
Hi People,

I'd been having problems reinstalling WinXP on my old hard drive (BSODs, and no way of even beginning the install). So I bought a new hard drive with the hope of installing XP on that and then getting the files off the old hard drive. Unfortunately I'm getting BSODs with the above error message when installing the XP on the new hard drive. My typical method of installing XP has been to install Win98 then upgrade to XP or do a fresh install of XP (my XP disk doesn't auto boot). I'm able to install Win98 OK, but when I try to upgrade or do the fresh install of XP I keep getting the above BSOD.

1) Is it possible that the hard drive is dodgy, even though Win98 installs OK?
2) Is it possible that my BIOS is corrupt?
3) Motherboard??

The Microsoft Website says to run recovery console, but I don't get the option (or can't find it).

Help!!

Cheers,

Kyoto

Hi Warez,

I've read that, but my current problem is that I can't get into recovery console. Does anyone know of problems getting into recovery console?

Cheers,

Kyoto

I think you should try instaling XP upgrade fresh. You simply do an install of XP. You will be prompted to insert a copy of the original 98se etc cdrom to verify that the you own a previous version of windows. If you do this you will install windows XP without going through the hassle of the initial 98 install and then XP udgrade. I would run fdisk on that new drive to return it to factory fresh before the XP install.

Re:

Hello,

I wouldn't do anything too drastic yet.

If you've installed the recovery console on your system, then obviously it won't be accessible because it's on the partition in question.

You can get into the recovery console by booting into your Windows XP Installation CD. Make sure that you've set your boot order in your BIOS to check the CD-ROM Drive first. This shouldn't fail.

If you don't have the installation CD, then you can use a boot disk to perform a CHKDSK / R. I think the Windows XP Setup boot disks (the 6 boot disks) allows you to perform a CHKDSK...I'm not too sure. You can download it from the Internet here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

...I'm not too sure if it has CHKDSK functionality though. Also, I think there are better boot disks out there, somewhere, which let you do a CHKDSK using just one floppy disk.

Kyoto512 said:
Hi People,

I'd been having problems reinstalling WinXP on my old hard drive (BSODs, and no way of even beginning the install). So I bought a new hard drive with the hope of installing XP on that and then getting the files off the old hard drive. Unfortunately I'm getting BSODs with the above error message when installing the XP on the new hard drive. My typical method of installing XP has been to install Win98 then upgrade to XP or do a fresh install of XP (my XP disk doesn't auto boot). I'm able to install Win98 OK, but when I try to upgrade or do the fresh install of XP I keep getting the above BSOD.

1) Is it possible that the hard drive is dodgy, even though Win98 installs OK?
2) Is it possible that my BIOS is corrupt?
3) Motherboard??

The Microsoft Website says to run recovery console, but I don't get the option (or can't find it).

Help!!

Cheers,

Kyoto

All xp's cds are bootable.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdnewhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Thanks heaps for your help, guys - in particular Alvin and Rico. I'll let you know how things go.

Cheers,

Kyoto

Incredible: Turns out it was a corrupt WinXP installation disk. Go figure...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom