Dropped my CPU chip "pin" side down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfHearts

Baseband Member
Tried removing the stock fan/heatsink to install a custom one and when I pulled it up, the AMD 64 chip came with it. Well, I didn't think the chip was suppose to come with it right? It was stuck to the Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. Well anyways, as I pulled it up, it slipped out of my hands and fell into the cpu and about 10 of the pins on the chip were bent. I am alreadly concluding that the chip is ruined and that I have to buy a new one, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I tried taking tweezers and straightening them out, but it very hard to get them straight.

Ya try using very fine pliers, if you cant straiten them out then you need a new chip. Even if you do straiten them out there's probably a large chance that its damaged. What im wondering is how it came up in the first place. Did you originally have the ZIF socket latch closed or did you never close it properly?

I had it closed. Actually, when I pulled the heatsink up and the chip was still stuck to it, I looked down and that little lever that locks the chip in place was still down and locked? I thought that was suppose to prevent the chip from coming up. I guess it didn't work in this case though? Oh well, can't do anything about it now, I will just be more careful in the future. Thanks for the reply.

Use a lead pencil, the kind you can refill. Make sure it has a metal lead tube.

Slide it over the bent pin, and GENTLY straighten it out.

Works better than pliers, and is less likely to screw any of the other pins around it.

I have used a 6" steel ruler placed between the rows of pins and it worked very well as you can line the bent pin(s) up with the others in the row

this isnt the first time I've heard of the thermal paste sticking so badly that a CPU gets ripped out of the socket. Hasn't happened to me personally...I've had some where it's mighty sticky, but I always twist it until it comes off, never actually just pulling it straight out.

I'd say the mechanical pencil is probably the best chance you got.

And just cause their bent doesn't mean the CPU's still damaged...after all it's just making an electrical connection so as long as it fits into it's socket it'll be aright.

I remember some dude at XS had to re-solder on some pins and it still worked lol

Man! I know how you feel. Same thing happened to me with a brand spanking new AMD Athlon 64... nearly crapped. I called AMD support to setup RMA - they replaced it (thank God) ... it was 'damaged in shipping'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom