My Computer of Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, sorry, this is the first time i have actually frequented these forums. i just came to the firs ttopic section that looked like it ocould answer my questins at first.

Either get a 3000+ Venice or a 3700+ San Diego.

The San Diego is better just for the extra L2 cache. If you can afford it, why not go for it and OC it to FX-57 speeds.

Yea. The 3000+ won't match 4000+ speeds because they have different cache sized. Since you saved some money going from 4GB to 2GB RAM, I recommend going with either the Athlon 64 4000+, or the Athlon 64 3700+.

The 4000+ will be easier to overclock, and you'll be glad you bought it, but if you can't afford it, then go for the 3700+.

And don't no1 give me the BS that you can overclock a 3700+ to 4000+, I know that, but he'd only be pushing the processor more in terms of Bus speeds with the 3700+. The extra multiplier helps a LOT.

i think i'm going to stick with my current processor, however if i were to get either of the other two processors i would get the 3700+. reason being is i don't particuarly care much about overclocking or that extra .2ghz that comes with the 4000+.

that and i still have prices to consider.

a 3000+ will suit me for now, if i need to upgrade in the next year or so i'll do that.

as it is it'll take me about a month to get all the money together to get all the parts. i'll be buying everything piece by piece over the next month.

first i'm getting the mobo, power supply, and case (sometime within the next week)

secondly i'll be getting the ram and the chipset (about november 1st)

third, the hard drive and windows xp (about the middle of november)

fouth will be the video card, dvd writer, and floppy. (the end of november)

i'll be able to have the computer up and running in the middle of november, i have an older video card, dvd reader, cd writer, and floppy i can put in there to hold me over until i can get the rest. that way i can get the programs i want installed and setup while i'm waiting to get the rest of the components.

if my plan seems flawed...please, don't hesitate to correct me.

Amai said:
secondly i'll be getting the ram and the chipset (about november 1st)

Since I didn't see a processor in there, I assume thats supposed to be the processor since chipsets are not for sale?

There is nothing wrong at all with buying the parts one by one and you seem to have set it up very well so it looks good.

I would still recommend you look into overclocking though. Relatively easily, you can improve the performance of your PC drastically. For example, my 3200+ originally was 2.0GHz and equalled a Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor. However, with some effort, I was able to overclocking it to 2.7GHz which made the processor equal a Pentium 4 4.15 GHz processor. So you can see the improvement I saw. With a 3000+, you should be able to reach 2.5GHz without much effort.

Also, The DFI Lanparty motherboard isn't just for overclockers. Its an excellent motherboard overall and better than 99% of the motherboards out there. I don't want to see you have problems with the motherboard you have so I'm just suggesting a more reliable one. If you still don't like the Lanparty, then look into the MSI K8N Neo4-F.

sorry, yeah, meant processor.

i'll take a look at the other two motherboards again and talk to some friends-they're the ones that will be helping me set everything up and putting it together.

thanks everyone for the advice! i think after i get everything together and ready it'll be a machine to be reckoned with (not to mention i'll be the envy of my friends :D )

one last question here (for now), wanted to make sure that winows xp pro will work with my athlon 64 processor. or do i have to purchase the beefed up version with all the bugs of windows xp pro 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom