S.m.a.r.t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
I was wondering just exactly what this is, because I got a message at post that the S.M.A.R.T. status was bad on my hard drive, and that I should backup and replace.

Symptoms seem to be that the computer is running sluggish, even though there is almost no load on the CPU.

Thanks for your help, guys.

It's a fairly new Western Digital drive, so I guess I'll format it, and take it back to where I got it, and have it replaced. No sense in disabling a service on something that's almost brand new.

Self-Monitoring- Analysis- and -Reporting Technology- A drive technology that reports its own degradation enabling the operating system to warn the user of potential failure. It was included in EIDE drives with the ATA-3 specification.

ATA Specifications - ATA-3 (circa 1996)

ATA- 3 added SMART technology. SMART stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology. It helps prevent data loss and unscheduled computer downtime and provides advanced warning of certain types of drive failures. This allows the user of data management software to backup the data before costly loss occurs.

does not protect you from power surge. low quality power supplies are known to fry hard disk when they fail. the best protection is regular and complete data backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom