How ofton to reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazlunatic said:
Try Linux or something NOT microsoft, and reformatting less than once a year, wouldn't even be a problem.

I have Linux and it never needs reformatting or reinstalling.

dnoch said:
On my XP disk, I have the option of quick or full format

that's formatting to ntfs or fat 32. when you pick the full option all it does is add checkdisc to the format.

when you delete a drive, you have 2 options. a high or low level format. one write on top of everything and your data is really still there (high level format, which is quick). the other write zero to your drive and get rid of your data (low level format, which is slooooowww). your data can still be recovered with advance tools, though.

companies like maxtor (powermax) and western digital use a hybrid approach now (this is the best way). they write zero to the firsts and last part of the hard drive and quickly wipe the rest. this is particularly useful for getting rid of bootsector viruses, something the xp cd or fdisc can't do. this is also a good wipe of the hard drive, that doesn't take forever to do

Or a contract with the devil
Jealous?

Seriously, if you take the time to install precautions, do your maintenance, and don't scream "REFORMAT!!!" every time Windows hiccups, you can survive without it.

I've had a few major crashes, but I took the time to sort through it, fix the problem, and get it working again.

My system runs better now than when I first bought it with a fresh install.

I'v only reformatted once because of a really bad virus problem. being the stupid person I am I formatted it woth a win98 boot disk and when the hard drive was completely blank I realized that there was no xp cd or recovery cd in the box of things that came with my computer so I had to get a bootleg copy off the internet.

being the stupid person I am I formatted it woth a win98 boot disk and when the hard drive was completely blank I realized that there was no xp cd or recovery cd in the box of things that came with my computer so I had to get a bootleg copy off the internet.

Experience is a hard teacher... first she gives the test, then she gives the lesson.

Sounds like something I might do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom