New Build - Can't Load OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeman1980

Solid State Member
Whats up folks, I am in the process of building my first pc. Specs below. After several hours, I finally got the hardware together. Nothing is on fire so I'm assuming I put it together correctly and it starts up to the first page, then I can get into BIOS. I have been monkeying around with it for two days now and can't get it to boot off of the windows xp install cd. A friend of mine had taken my new hard drive and transfered everything from my old hd to it, could this affect the windows install? Is there any way to wipe that hd clean and start over. Any ideas would be a huge help!

Thanks

What happens when you go into the BIOS, put cd drive as first boot, put cd in, save and exit. And let it load?

Is the hdd sata?

And did you buy a legit copy of xp?

Depends on how its done more. As I have known copies to not be bootable, so you have to follow the steps on MS' site to get to setup.

Yeah, I went into bios, mind you I'm relatively new at this, but the bios seems simple enough in this regard. I put the order of cd - hd - fdd, and the same thing happened, it would go to a blue screen and then just stop. It never asked me if I wanted to install windows or anything, it would just start doing it's own thing. I also tried different boot orders, fdd - hd - cd, cd - hd - cd, etc. None of them worked. The windows cd is from my old computer, it should still boot up shouldn't it. Thanks

On the bottom left it jumps from phrase to phrase as if it's loading files or something, then it eventually stops at random files

I honestly cant' be sure, I'm not at home right now, I bought it from Best Buy a little over a year ago, I think it might be an ultra ata. But I'm not positive.

What kind of CD are you trying to use?

I think you are trying to use a recovery CD, which only works on the computer it was intended for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom