ext HD, xp, no detection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will do...

But isn't that the same as the drivers that come on the disc?

it should work regaurdless of USB versions, If you have USB 1.1 on the computer and USB 2.0 on the device all its going to do is have a slower data transfer rate,try and reformat it on your 98 machine to NTFS if it isnt already. Is this a hard drive in an enclosure or is it a store bought external hard drive?

When you plug it in the USB port, do you hear the Windows XP "found device" noise? Does it say, "USB device not recognized"?

Does it have any buttons, on/off switch? My external WD drive has three front buttons, one is the on/off switch and two are some backup buttons. Nothing happens until I turn it on.

What brand is this?

Is there an activity light at alll on the hard drive, when does it flicker?

The disk is compatible with both usb2 and USB 1.1.

What is a Linux mini-distro live-cd? IÂ’m pretty sure itÂ’s the fault of the computer, as the drive works on my old 98 computer.

I have already formatted it on my 98...

Um... I think its store bought. But I do know that it comes with a hard external casing. For portable ease.

Actually, every now and then when I pull the drive out it makes that sound... and I have got it to the stage where it says the device is installed but need to reboot. So I do so, but still nothing.

It has no buttons or switches.

There is a power light on the drive. Which should flicker when using or copying or transferring data. It remains as a steady blue light when plugged into my Xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom