What Gaming processor Is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAVOC2k5 said:
FOR GAMING:

IMO - Yes a CPU is important for gaming, but i believe that the videocard or cards you use a just a hint more important.

I believe that upgrading a CPU should be directly related to your videocard solution.

If you're going FX-57, then an SLI or CROSSFIRE solution is probably the best way to go. You'll need a very high-end CPU to keep up with the Highest settings in AA & AF and monitor resolutions. You'll also need the highest-end videocards available.

If you're in going with a low to mid-end videocard and you'll already be limited to mid AA&AF settings and resolutions, so a mid-end CPU is probably the best upgrade.

Any of those CPU's that you listed would be a fine choice for a mid-end videocard. Using a Highend video card like the 7800GTX or the X1800XT would be fine with any of those CPU's but, don't expect to use the highest settings or resolutions for monitors over 19". It will work just fine, but the performance won't exactly be top notch.

STRICTLY IMO,

Your CPU & VIDEO CARD for "GAMING" should relatively be matched for their best performance.

Are u saying with the 4400 X2 I should'nt expect the highest settings? Even with 7800gts in SLI?

Umk, now you're talking about...a $1000 system. Just for the graphics cards. You shouldn't get 7800s in SLI, and if you wanna blow that, wait for ATI's solution. Those cards are supposed to be a lot better.

I think you can; what he's saying that if you go all out on the processor, and by bargin parts in other areas such as the mobo and the graphics cards, you'll be dissappointed in your preformance. All of your system has to match each other for the best preformace. Your scheme that you metioned will either reach or be very close to hitting the highest settings for awhile. Be sure to get decent Ram to go along with it.

The thing about the dual cores is that it has 2 excution units with various clock speeds. So basically it's like 2 cores put together. But don't be fooled. Most applications aren't made to run 2 threads of excutions that use 2 excution units. They will in the future, but for now, dual core people will just have to wait for those apps to come out.

WOW HAVOC2k5, ur pc owns!! Just curious, what did you get for 3d mark 03? I'm sure it's insanely high.

emeraldice said:
Umk, now you're talking about...a $1000 system. Just for the graphics cards. You shouldn't get 7800s in SLI, and if you wanna blow that, wait for ATI's solution. Those cards are supposed to be a lot better.

I think you can; what he's saying that if you go all out on the processor, and by bargin parts in other areas such as the mobo and the graphics cards, you'll be dissappointed in your preformance. All of your system has to match each other for the best preformace. Your scheme that you metioned will either reach or be very close to hitting the highest settings for awhile. Be sure to get decent Ram to go along with it.

The thing about the dual cores is that it has 2 excution units with various clock speeds. So basically it's like 2 cores put together. But don't be fooled. Most applications aren't made to run 2 threads of excutions that use 2 excution units. They will in the future, but for now, dual core people will just have to wait for those apps to come out.

Then what processor are you suggesting that I get instead of a dual core? FX-55 or Fx-57? Because I don't think I want to spend 800-1000 bucks on the cpu alone. Or would I be better off with the single core 3800 + or 4000 +???

And about the Ram would the OCZ gold do the job? Or how about the OCZ gold Gamer extreme Ram?

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...duct_Code=140286&Category_Code=Unbuffered_OCZ

the Nvidia 81.26 drivers and above are actually designed to take advantage of dual core CPU's.

I know, some of you may say that the video driver has nothing to do with the CPU. but it does.

the CPU is needed to make the polygons and shapes for any 2D or 3D image, then the video card colours and shades it all. the 81.26 drivers make use of both cores of a dual core CPU.

I'd recommend getting an X2, with an Nvidia card, and the 81.26 or above Forceware drivers

Clearly, the video card is the most important component for gaming, I've heard of people playing games well on Semprons & Celerons provided they had a good video card.

I'm a budget consumer & you sound like a high roller, I'd say get a good quality socker 939 motherboard & memory, an AMD 64 3000 venice core, a thermaltake heatsink, and you can simply overclock it to FX-55 speeds with stability provided good ram & mobo, for a $144 dollar processor why not start with that? It amazes me that people will spend a shitload more to go from 70 FPS at high settings to 85 FPS at high game settings.

I've seen some benchmarks that lead me to believe that for the dollar, the smart people are getting a 3000 or 3200 and overclocking them to FX 55 or 57 speeds and have a badass gaming machine today without a big investment, save your money for the next big wave of technology with Vista and dual core and new fancy hard drives.

In the future if you decide dual core they all fit socket 939 motherboards and you could go out and buy a $700 processor to install with your other components.

Riceball said:
WOW HAVOC2k5, ur pc owns!! Just curious, what did you get for 3d mark 03? I'm sure it's insanely high.
My sig isn't competed yet. I'm still waiting on the x1800Xt's and a good crossfire motherboard to be put on the market. Until then, all of the other components are stilling in a box on my workstation.
Kinda depressing, but i really wanna wait for the x1800xt's.

I've been tempted lately to just go SLI with 7800GTX's... But, my friend keeps making me wait... I think it's a good think though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom