from nz: building a new athlon64 3200+ rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, after reading the manuals and a few reviews of this one that you suggested,

GIGABYTE Geforce 6600GT GV-NX66T128VP

I guess that this is the one i'll go for as it is a fanless design, plus the vivo. Just got to find it cheaper than $380 heheh

i think i understand the memory divider, for overclocking you use a ratio such as 6/5 or something right? i've really got to read a good overclocking manual, plenty of time yet. but from what i understand, is that you up the htt (or fsb speed) and drop the memory speed but find a fraction such as 6/5 or whatever fraction ur mobo supports that multiplies against the lower mem speed to equal the new bus speed right? because the athlon64 3200+ multiplier is locked, so then you just multiply ur fsb by the multiplier to get the new clock speed.

i think that upping the fsb (htt) would affect the graphics card function, but since this gigabyte one has a mem speed of 1120MHZ and core speed of 500MHZ, and with overclocking ability, that should work just fine right?

the only thing i'm not sure of is the voltages and stuff.

How do you find the stock cooler of the athlon64 3200+? in terms of noise levels and cooling? i believe it comes with a thermal pad on it, so i'm going to buy some of that arcticlean to dissolve that pad, and clean it, and then use AS5.

with regards to graphics card cooling, i notice that when i'm playing any games, or running full screen video, the heatsink on my card gets quite hot. so about a week ago, i just cut a hole in the side of my case, and put in an 80mm fan to blow sideways onto the heatsink. i have a aluminium filter over the fan, cuz i don't want dust inside the machine, and i had a 60mm - 80mm fan adaptor, so i put these things together, to keep the fan further away from the filter (to reduce noise) and get closer to the graphics heatsink. anyway, after i had played need for speed 3 for an hour or so (usually this makes that heatsink really hot) i touch tested it, to find it was very cool indeed, and the fan itself is very very quiet, almost inaudible. i included a picture to show hehe so i guess, with my new case, and new graphics card, depending on how hot it does get, i'll probably do something similar, though it will be cutting plexiglass instead of metal... so a little bit of researching for that is needed.

(sorry for long post)

Attachments

• graphics card fan reside.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 21
thanks, however, i'm gonna buy brand new, at least you've got comebacks if something goes wrong.

alsyed said:
thanks, however, i'm gonna buy brand new, at least you've got comebacks if something goes wrong.

Ebay has warranty and new stuff but anyway........

case: Antec P-160WF
cpu: Athlon64 3200+ venice core
mobo: dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d
ram: corsair value select 2 x 512MB ddr400MHZ
graphics: GIGABYTE Geforce 6600GT GV-NX66T128VP
hdd: 2 x sata 160GB 7200rpm with ncq
psu: Enermax EG425P-VE SFMA
dvd+Rw: Benq DW1640 DVD Writer
dvd+rom: aopen 1648

now to find the best deals for each of these parts heheh as from that ascent site in nz, it comes to $1877 i'm sure i can knock off a couple of hundred at least (i hope)

alsyed said:
case: Antec P-160WF
cpu: Athlon64 3200+ venice core
mobo: dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d
ram: corsair value select 2 x 512MB ddr400MHZ
graphics: GIGABYTE Geforce 6600GT GV-NX66T128VP
hdd: 2 x sata 160GB 7200rpm with ncq
psu: Enermax EG425P-VE SFMA
dvd+Rw: Benq DW1640 DVD Writer
dvd+rom: aopen 1648

now to find the best deals for each of these parts heheh as from that ascent site in nz, it comes to $1877 i'm sure i can knock off a couple of hundred at least (i hope)

Get someone in the US to buy it for you, then ship it to NZ.

lol

don't know many people in the US, most of my family are quite anti US so refuse to live there hehehe (take one look at my name you'll know what i mean) and the people i do know there i couldn't really trust for them to do that.

i'm sure shops and online stores have a dossier on me, so that when i buy stuff, they send me the defective ones. Man, just buying my machine the first time, i had to take it back 3 times. the dvd writer has had to go back, i had to send back 2 hard drives cuz they were dead on arrival, and non computer related, many things have had to be returned cuz they died early. So, i'm very reluctant to buy anything second hand, or anything from overseas like this, as i have nothing behind me in case something goes wrong or they arrive dead.

Having said that, i'm going to see how much the stuff costs at somewhere like newegg, the shipping costs, exchange rates and then import duties and goods/services tax and then think further on that. If the difference is at least the price of the most expensive item in NZ$, then i will seriously think about it.

Suit yourself mate, i just know i have enough trouble getting hardware here. And you probably in a simmilar situation.

i'm rolling over the floor laughing...

i just done some comparisons. buying all from newegg and getting shipped...
and buying all from ascent.

for these items, (cpu, mobo, case, gpu, ram, hdd, and dvd+rw)

newegg: US$827.23
ascent: NZ$1897.65

okay, now thats a big different, if we normalise currency..
newegg is now NZ$1182.36. still big difference.

I did a little search on dhl international, i really have no idea of the most cost effective and safe way to ship here from US. I weighed my pc now on my digital scales, to get an idea of what the rough weight would be, around 15KG my one is, but i have a psu, adsl modem, fans, a guitar effects pedal, an extra hdd, floppy and optical drive in there, not to mention a few extra fans. So i guess, it would balance out with manuals and accessories in all the boxes. shipping for that would work out about US$330.

so adding that up we have, approx US$1160. then convert that to NZ dollars, we now have $1650 odd.. with GST having to pay on it at the border, which is at 12.5%, an extra $200 is added, so now i got it at NZ$1850.

around $47 difference hahahhha

now the funny bit is, if i buy from ascent direct deposit, i get 1.5% discount, so ascent is now $1868. heheh

i guess that site has really factored it all in with their prices. I won't complain anymore hahahah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom