Mobo/Processor combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashZero

Beta member
Hey all, first time poster looking for some info please. I am in the process of getting some parts to build my first homebuilt PC. So far I have a case, power supply, and HD(s) picked out. What I'm having problems with is deciding on a motherboard/processor combination. I want to make sure that they will work together first and foremost and second I dont want to spend ANY MORE than $150-200US for either of them. I am mainly going to use this system for gaming if that helps at all. Here are the minimum stats for what I am looking for:

Processor- Pentium 4 w/ HT'ing
Mobo- 2GB RAM(DDR2), PCI Express

Again, these are the base stats that I am looking to get filled. Hopefully someone here can recommend a combination that works well together and will keep my PC running fast for a least a short time...till the new stuff comes out.

**Edit**
I plan on using either Corsair 240/184 pin 1GBx2 sticks and a Raptor 74GB 10k HD. Not entirely sure where I wanna go in terms of graphics. If you guys have any ideas, let me know.

ok
CPU= dont go with INTEl (pentium), AMD is what you will want for games. some1 else can recommend a model cause i dont know US prices..

DDR2 = BIG no no.. DDR2 isnt twice as fast as DDR1/ if u decide to get an AMD (i think u should) you cant actualy have DDR2 ram because the AMD motherboards dont have the 240 pin slot for it. i think u wont need 2gb anyway..1gb will be fine..itll probly be faster for games anyway..so 1gb of DDr400 ram..

PCI-E..every1 on this forum says 6600gt is the way to go..i dont know how much u wanna spend on the Graphics card but if u can get a 256mb 6600GT..

sorry i dont actually have links to items but this is just a general idea of what I think u will need for recent games..
BTW how much in total are you going to spend on the whole thing(graphics card, ram, cpu and motherboard)..

Unfortunately I am a INTEL guy, so I would have to seriously think about switching to AMD. Although the argument could be said that I have nothing to base that off of sense I have NEVER used AMD personally, I just prefer and am used to using INTEL.

The reason I want to run 2GB's of memory is b/c I am constantly alt-tabbing between programs, I mean...I routinely run a game, winamp, TeamSpeak(voip), and a browser window or two. And with this system I also plan on adding a second monitor to it. That is why I prefer to have 2GB's. :)

I've been reading the forums since my first post and have been seeing a lot of post's recommending the 6800GT. Would that be a safe bet of a GPU for what I want to do?

The most I want to spend for the entire system is $1200-1500US.

yes...i think the 6600gt will suit you fine.
so how much money for the whole setup ....im sure some1 can recommend parts off newegg for u...

He put that in the previous post. $1200-$1500.

Intel...I don't know much about it. But yea, he was looking for a mobo/CPU combo, and if already got DDR2 RAM, he's pretty committed to Intel parts at this point. You should go PCIe; and you should also get umm..whatchamacall it. ATI's equivelant of crossfire. Basically 2 PCIe graphics card slots, so if you want to dual-head (2 moniters) you can with one graphics card to each slot. And if you want to dual head with 1 card, you should probably go with the more powerful 6800 GT.

You said $200 for a mobo/CPU; the cheapest Intel CPU that was 3.0 ghz was $170. If you want to spend $30 dollars on the mobo, that's fine with me, but you should probably have second thoughts. I think that like 1/2 your cost should be cpu/mobo, 1/4 your cost should be ram/graphics cards, and the last 1/4 misc.

And then you should give the last 1/2 to people who can't add/count.

But the final buy descisions are up to you.

oh sorry i didnt see how much he wanted to spend..
your talking about SLI with Nvidia..
i think he meant that he would spen 150-200 on each of the CPU and motherboard...

Thats right, I dont want to spend more than $200 dollars for EITHER the motherboard OR the processor. I havent bought anything yet...but what bothers me is that no one can recommend any sort of combination for what I want to use/do with the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom