Partitioning sudgestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD_Rob

Baseband Member
Hey Everyone!

I just built a new PC, Mainly to be be used for autocad and gamming.

My system consists of:
AMD 64+ 3000
1 gig pc3200 ram
160gig sata2 HD
Saphire X700pro video
asus a8n-e mobo

Im using windows xpPRO and want to know if i should partition my hard drive into seperate peices. I think id like to have one partition for windows only, maybe 5-10 gigs, andone partition for games, programs, media files etc. that way if i ever need to reinstal windows for whatever reason i wont loose all my media and program files.

Im wondering, if i do indeed do it that way, unless there is a better route. Can i make the "my documents" and "program files" apear on the second partition, VS being on the windows partition, Mainly because those 2 files by default are what most programs use to instal files, and where most downloads go. and i dont want that to be on the small windows partition.

Thanks for any replies :)

on a second note, I liked how in windows Me. 98, 95 etc, you had one single "my documents folder, however it seems that in xp, you have one when you go into my computer, then you have one in the windows folder, and they both contain different folders ? anyone to jsut get one single forlder

I dont know if it is possible to plase that two folders other partision than system but it is useless. i have 4+ partisions and 3 Os installed. 40 Gb storage is enough and have a lot of free space but dont have much game :). i suggest you make 4 partision,one for system ( OS - that two folders included ) one for audio-movies,one for games and one for documants.10-20 Gb is ifne for system folder becuse it takes less time when formating. i also recomend you to format your partisions with NTFS file system.

is it enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom