Playing Movies freezes computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlevit

Solid State Member
Hey all,

I have recently replaced my MOBO because my old MOBO's AGP slot stopped working (for some unknown reason)

I have obtained myself an ASUS P4S800-MX SE a 478 socket MOBO.

Code:
I have the following computer:
- P4 2.8Ghz 800 FBUS
- 1GB RAM 400Mhz
- NVIDIA 6600GT video card

Now at first i tried to use it as a plug and play device, which didnt work out too well, so i had to format my C drive and install a new copy of Windows XP Pro.

After installing, the computer seems to load fine, but i just cannot play ANY videos. Whether it's Quicktime on the web, Quicktime standalone, Windows media player (WMP), Media player Classic (MPC).

As soon as the videa is loaded, the computer freezes.

With Quicktime on the web, i can press ALT CTRL DEL and wait for around 30 seconds for task manager to pop up and for some reason the video will play normally. But just that one video. If i play videos on WMP or MPC the ALT CTRL DEL wont do anything and ill have to restart my computer.

I seriously have no idea what is going on here. Anyone else know why this might be happening?

Go to start, run type msconfig and go to startup, disable everything in there except the antivirus and reboot. There might be two programs trying to use the same item at once

UPDATE 1: I updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers and the BSD started coming up whenever i played movies. It told me that either the hardware or the drivers are causing Windows to get into an infinite loop.

UPDATE 2: So then I ran the computer in SAFE MODE and the movies worked perfectly fine.

UPDATE 3: After that i decided it was the drivers causing the crash, so i installed the older drivers that came with the card which worked on my old MOBO. And still i get the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom