bootup/spontaneous reset probems

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you been able to boot up in safe mode without any problems?

I also had a restart problem when i installed a virus scanner it didnt like my pc think it was mcafee it just kept restarting my comp.

Download everest home edition to monitor temperatures:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

once installed its under sensor in one of the sub menu's.

Check to see your processor fan isnt dead although that normally just causes the computer to freeze rather than reset, sounds more like a compatibilty problem with software.

If all else fails see if safemode works try and back up what you need and format but thats only as a last resort.

bootup/spontaneous reset problems

thanx baronvongogo

I have tried booting up in safe mode and haven't experienced any problems doing so, also I downloaded Everest Home Edition as you recommended, which reports both the CPU and Motherboard temperature in windows at around 34 degrees (so no apparent problems there).

I am not running any antivirus software at the moment as the PC in question is not connected to the internet. However, I was running Norton Systemworks 2005 but removed it as the computer was not connected to the internet I thought it was pointless having it but I will try running the spyware/adware software in Safe Mode. In the meantime I have run hijack this already and attached the log to my reply posted on 22 Oct 2005. Anyway the log file contained the following:-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 14:30:55, on 22/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\oodag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\system.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\service.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile\audevicemgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Remote Control\rdvd.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\INTUWA~1\Shared\MROUTE~1\MROUTE~2.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\SONYER~1\Mobile\CONNEC~1\CONNMN~1.EXE
F:\HighJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
F3 - REG:win.ini: run=
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCLEPCI] C:\PROGRA~1\PINNAC~1\PPE\PPE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [h3yb0y1] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\LSASS.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\system.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\serv-u.ini
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [h3yb0y] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\LSASS.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\service.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\conf.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: BTTray.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Phone Connection Monitor.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Remote Control.lnk = C:\Program Files\Remote Control\rdvd.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: O&O Defrag - O&O Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\system32\oodag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe

Crysalis said:
Yea good luck with that. I just fixed two pc's with that problem. Turns out, 3 hard drives crashed within 2 weeks of each other. One had to be taken apart in a clean room to get the data off ($760... the data ended up corrupted... it was not a happy day). The other two are being RMA'd. Replaced the hard drives and both computers work great! It was the EXACT problem you are describing. It could definitely be overheating as well tho. Check your BIOS or use SpeedFan and see what temps your computer is at.

It could also be a RAM issue.

I fixed 2 computers this week with the same problem. 1 was a bad hard drive, the other was corrupted file (a reformat will fix this). try running checkdisc. the one that could boot into safe mode was the one with the corrupted files

I have tried the spyware/adware remover in safe mode which didn't find anything. I have tried defrag'ing the drive (with O&O Defrag Pro) and even ran scandisk which found no errors.

I downloaded and ran memtest86 (as Inaris previously advised) which seemed to be running the same tests over and over again with no apparent end. I stopped the software after it had run for almost 8 hours and seemed to have run the same tests 11 times without finding any errors with my RAM.

What about my HijackThis log I posted earlier has anyone found anything unusual in that?

Re: bootup/spontaneous reset problems

begster5780 said:
I have tried the spyware/adware remover in safe mode which didn't find anything. I have tried defrag'ing the drive (with O&O Defrag Pro) and even ran scandisk which found no errors.

I downloaded and ran memtest86 (as Inaris previously advised) which seemed to be running the same tests over and over again with no apparent end. I stopped the software after it had run for almost 8 hours and seemed to have run the same tests 11 times without finding any errors with my RAM.

What about my HijackThis log I posted earlier has anyone found anything unusual in that?

if your file were corrupted and it was because of spyware or a virus, hijack this couldn't tell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom