from nz: building a new athlon64 3200+ rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks,

the case is a little pricey, though in US dollars, it would be around $260 after my direct credit discount. NZ is very pricey for pc equipment, though this site is not the cheapest. But the reason why i want this case, is for a few reasons, i like how it looks, i like the rotated hdd trays with mounting grommets to dampen vibrations, the window, the top mounted rotating usb/firewire ports, the cooling side of things and tidiness.

which memory you reckon, i see that you got a fairly good overclock with your value select ram, so thats probably what i will get.

As far as graphics cards, i am not really interested in the huge games of today, i'm uncoordinated in them i find, and they waste too much of my time lol, though i'm partial to good racing car games :D

you run a memory divider, so your memory will be running slower then the cpu. the valueselect ram is fine.

okay its corsair value select for me then.

have a guess what my current 3dmark 03 score is...

a miserable 133 lol!!
repeat "133"

my memory tests with sisoft sandra and cachemem sucked too...

sisoft sandra: alu = 1760 MB/s
fpu = 1620

cachemem read = 721.5 MB/s
write = 507.8

this graphics card that i looking at, looking at a review, one place has the 3dmark at around 8000 heheh thats just a little bit better than my 133. heheh

there are a couple of other cards on this site that are geforce 6600 but not 6600GT, what are the some of the advantages of the GT over the non-GT? and would i be really needing them? the non GT version is over $100 cheaper.

the 6600 uses DDR memory
while the GT uses GDDR3 memory
the clockspeeds are really different. 300/500
500/1000

so real world advantages are? i mean playing the odd car racing game such as need for speed underground, or maybe doom3? when i say odd, maybe once or twice a week for about half an hour each time

alsyed said:
The case is a little pricey, though in US dollars, it would be around $260 after my direct credit discount. NZ is very pricey for pc equipment, though this site is not the cheapest. But the reason why i want this case, is for a few reasons, i like how it looks, i like the rotated hdd trays with mounting grommets to dampen vibrations, the window, the top mounted rotating usb/firewire ports, the cooling side of things and tidiness.

Well, I must say, it is a very nice case :).

which memory you reckon, i see that you got a fairly good overclock with your value select ram, so thats probably what i will get.

Yea, Like Pzero said, I'm running with a memory divider meaning my CPU is running at a different speed from my memory. This creates problems with Pentium-4s but with Athlon 64s, its perfectly fine. It would be nice if I could overclock my memory, but oh well :)

there are a couple of other cards on this site that are geforce 6600 but not 6600GT, what are the some of the advantages of the GT over the non-GT? and would i be really needing them? the non GT version is over $100 cheaper.

Yea, lol, basically anything you get will be better than what you have. What you want is a video card that can atleast run 3DMark05 (your current one undoubtably doesn't so I wouldn't recommend trying it out :) ). The difference between the GT and non-GT is a substantial one. Basically, the 6600GT performs much better in games, has more features which are needed to run today's games, and is overall a better value for the money. However, seeing as you aeren't a gamer, a regular 6600 will be fine.

Although if you like to play good racing games, you might want to go with a better one ;)

well if you want to save money, you can go with a 6600 but the better card is a 6600GT and which will play doom3 pretty much high settings sense nvidia destroys ati in doom3 any card can play it

seems like you dont do much gaming, if you care about quality and framerates and playng the latest games the 6600GT is for you

Might I also suggest one of the ATi Radeon series of videocards? The 9800Pro is quite a decent card and will run most of today's games (though nowhere near as well as the 6600GT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom