What Gaming processor Is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New games are going to support dual-core in the future. Like FEAR I believe. Don't forget the saying, you can overclock a dual core to single core speeds, but you cant overclock a single core to dual-core speeds.

I'm going with a 3700+ because it's not too expensive but it's also 100x better than my current cpu. If I could afford it, I'd go with a dual core.

septoid2 said:
New games are going to support dual-core in the future. Like FEAR I believe. Don't forget the saying, you can overclock a dual core to single core speeds, but you cant overclock a single core to dual-core speeds.

What? You mean you can always make the dual core like a single core but never make a single core like a dual core?

you can OC a dual core processor to single core speeds, but youi cant OC a single core processor to dual core speeds

the dual core processors have 2 processors which are OCed which combined is like 4GHz or something, but you will never reach that with single core processor, and when something like that reaches dual core speeds, but i highly doubt it cause you cant get 2 cores in one, so they will come out wiht a new processor which will be doubled as fast sense it has 2 cores, which is just really confusing me and im not getting any of this in my head

Rofl, Pzero. Let me take over.

Dual Core won't double the clock speed. Its just like having two Single Core processors in one.

Not seeing how this wouldn't double the clock speed... or close to it. If you have 2 core's then either one fills up with processes and the other will take whats left over or they both work on something at the same time and either way it's almost doubling the clock speeds, I don't see any other solution. If it's not double clock speeds then what makes it so good with gaming?

EDIT: I thought about it some more.... maybe what your trying to say is the speed isn't necessarily doubled it just has 2 of the same speed CPU's working on it? So essentially, it's ALOT like doubeling the core clock speed but in technical terms it's not?

FOR GAMING:

IMO - Yes a CPU is important for gaming, but i believe that the videocard or cards you use a just a hint more important.

I believe that upgrading a CPU should be directly related to your videocard solution.

If you're going FX-57, then an SLI or CROSSFIRE solution is probably the best way to go. You'll need a very high-end CPU to keep up with the Highest settings in AA & AF and monitor resolutions. You'll also need the highest-end videocards available.

If you're in going with a low to mid-end videocard and you'll already be limited to mid AA&AF settings and resolutions, so a mid-end CPU is probably the best upgrade.

Any of those CPU's that you listed would be a fine choice for a mid-end videocard. Using a Highend video card like the 7800GTX or the X1800XT would be fine with any of those CPU's but, don't expect to use the highest settings or resolutions for monitors over 19". It will work just fine, but the performance won't exactly be top notch.

STRICTLY IMO,

Your CPU & VIDEO CARD for "GAMING" should relatively be matched for their best performance.

cpu after the amd 64 3000 has no gain in performance that i can tell. I oced my 3000 to 3500 thiking that i would get a huge speed increase and hold and behold to behold no increase in fps in css. so no cpu speed after 3000 woudlnt increase you fps by 2-5 maybe? That being said others things will run faster with faster cpu so look into what u gooan use your pc for and then cosinder, Faster is better anyway but for a budget minded like me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom