Need a new computer. But only have like $300 to spend..

Status
Not open for further replies.

No0b

Beta member
My computer is a 5yrold Dell Dimension 4100. 1ghrtz, 312ram and a 20gb harddrive. I basically just need something a little faster and with more harddrive space. I'm not really a gamer, but I'd like to be able to play TheSims without the lagging.

I don't want to build one from scratch and I don't really want to build one with a "Barebones case" either. I want to just keep my moniter, speakers, cddroms..etc and switch it to a new one to save some money untill I'm ready to upgrade.

Any sites besides tigerdirect or newegg that will build a comp and only put what you want in it and leave things out?

Is Ebay a good place to get something like this? I was looking on there earlier but couldn't really find anything. Some had too much stuff in it, others didn't have enough.. How much ram should I be looking for? A lot of comps I'm seeing only have like 512..

Any advice?

Go Dell.

For $300...I wouldn't expect much more than 256MB, so if you're getting 512MB, thats a real bargain.

Damn $300 dollars kinda puts you in a spot, do you HAVE to buy it now? I'd recommend saving your money and getting something decent later on because you won't get much for $300..

MUST you have a new computer? If you just need hard drive space, I'd tack on another hard drive...

300 bucks won't buy you anything faster to justify the upgrade. I'd get a new hard drive for now, save the money, then build later.

Um..dell?

Ok on second thought, guess I'll go with the barebones kits. I'd be wasting $200 on software and hardware I don't need with Dell. The thing with the barebones kits is just that I don't really know wtf I'm looking at with them. Besides the basics like how much harddrive space I want.. it gets confusing. Like on TigerDirect with their 500 kinds of AMD, 10 different kinds of 512Ram..etc. I want one that comes with the memory too. Any simple guides on this stuff anywhere? :/

I just noticed the "pay later" thing on Newegg and TigerDirect, so that might even be an option for me to spend a little more. I don't want to go too high though.

I know that it is a little more than you wanted to spend, but I got an eMachines T3990 for $350. You could put your old CD-ROM and HD into the new computer without much trouble and then you would have a system that was pretty good.

dude your going with a Dell lol. but really i hate them but there cheap so go with it. Make sure you spit in there face for us ok ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom