Economical and proactive thinking for a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Ok, not sure why I haven't thought of this before, and I never thought I would be asking a hardware question (shhhhhh...) but like SLI you can use 1 CPU on a duel core cpu mobo at a time right? I was thinking about getting a fast graphics card (like 1 step down from the best) and a mobo that supports SLI and just buy the same card again once it gets slow for cheap about year or so down the road, then do the same with the CPU, when that gets old add the same CPU (instead of buying a new and better cpu, video card, and mobo). I guess I could look it up but other things come into play like how does it effect performance, how well it works with gaming and other apps, the cost of a mobo like that, how stable a setup like that is, etc....

Hmmmm does athlon 64 even support duel core? Guess that means I would have to convert to intel?

EDIT: Well damn, do they even have a 2 CPU and 2 Graphics Cards capable mobo out? I'm not seeing them...

Dual core CPU's have 2 cores within them. Only needing 1 PGA socket.

Now multiple CPU boards is a differen't story usally for servers or workstations.

Ah gotcha, so do the speeds double? What are the downsides and plus's? Does AMD Athlon (64?) support it?

I'm a dual core and sli noob, I just remember hearing alot about it because macs were the ones to really start marketing it on there powerhouse computers. Then they started using it on PC's and thought it was too pricey, but thought maybe you only have to use 1 CPU at a time like SLI and GPU's, but nvm that idea was blown away.

I know for sure the speed is not doubled. But the second core will be utilized with multithreaded Aplications. Games at this moment don't use the second Core but they will in the near future. Dual cores are good for heavy multitasking or doing CAD and many video editing software.

Im sure someone else has a better explanation then I do.

sounds like intels equivalent to amds 64-bit cpu. wait, isn't that hyper threading? ACK! I need to start getting into hardware again, jesus.

guess what i can do is find a popular socket with plenty of room for upgrading in the future, because ill be having this board for awhile.

If you're going to upgrade in the future, you can buy a single-core processor first, then when you upgrade, buy a dual core processor. That way, you can save money on the first processor since gaming doesn't use the second core.

Damnnnnn.... they got PC4000 now to, 500mhz!! Ummm yeah, ima start doing some catching up.

EDIT: OMGWTF PC 2 6400 DDR2 800mhz!~~~ lolz

chickenfoot said:
If you're going to upgrade in the future, you can buy a single-core processor first, then when you upgrade, buy a dual core processor. That way, you can save money on the first processor since gaming doesn't use the second core.

who all supports dual core?

If you're using an AMD-based system, you'll most likely get socket 939. Socket 939 includes Athlon 64 (mainstream), Athlon FX (hardcore gaming), and Athlon X2 (dual core). So basically, you can buy an Athlon 64 first, then you can switch for an Athlon X2 later when you upgrade. So this way you do not need to buy another motherboard.

Well, most apps and games arent even using Athlon's 64 bit capability so why wouldn't you want to go with them? They're cheap and have potential... How much better really is Athlon X2 "dual core"? And where the hell does FX come in? I need to look at some specs or something... to many CPU questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom