Low Profile Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vcruise

Solid State Member
Hi! I'm planning on building a PC. I want to go with a desktop case instead of a tower. I have become aware that only low-profile video cards will fit, so I started looking. I don't want to have less power though. My question is, will a low profile video card perform the same as it's regular counterpart? Such as a Radeon x700 low-profile versus a Radeon x700? If they have the same specs, will the low-profile version perform just as well?

Also, it is possible that ATI would release a low-profile version of their upcoming x1800 sometime in the future (such as next year)?

Thanks!

Oh and, if anyone knows where I can find low-profile cards (x700 and higher, ATI only) it would be appreciated. I'm having trouble finding them... I only found the x700 on NewEgg.

Don't get the Radeon X700. Get the 6600GT, great bang for the buck and an incredible balance between performance and price.

Did a quick search on Newegg and couldn't find anything better than an X700 low profile, but if you really need more power, you should definately look into a riser card.

http://www.sundialmicro.com/Riser-card-lc11_1744_385.html

You plug it into the PCI-E slot, then plug your video card (whichever one you decide to get) into the riser card so your video card is parallel to your motherboard. If you go that route though, overheating might be an issue depeding on the airflow in your case. It's definately something to research.

EDIT: So it turns out that I'm an idiot... that riser card I linked you to is only compatible with the case that is displayed on that webpage. Anyway, I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find a riser card to fit your needs if you decide to go that route.

EDIT again: Here ya go... this one doesn't say anything about compatibility issues. :)
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/456

Thanks! I was looking at some cases that would definitely need something like this.

But do you know if the low-profile is pretty much the same as the non low-profile? Or is it less powerful?

They should be identical in performance unless physical constraints cause a problem, i.e. cooling. They still use the same graphics processing core, so it's the same deal.

Ryan

Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

I thought they were the same, but wasn't exactly sure.

Re: Re: Low Profile Video Cards

macdude425 said:
That's awfully narrow minded, can you explain why?
Would you care to find a low profile 6600gt? :freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom