OCing & Peltier Cooling Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphic H

Baseband Member
Ive been crawling over the web a bit and cannot find much information about this topic. All I know is I really want to try out OCing in conjuction with a Peltier/Water Cooling system. I was thinking about buying a large cheap case that I can get the Peltier system setup in but Im not exactly sure on what to do, where to shop, or anything to avoid. Advice on both OCing and Peltier Cooling would be greatly appreciated.

hmm....sounds like you don't know much of OC'ing yet....so I really wouldn't suggest just trying to jump into it, with water cooling and pelts included..

I'd head over to xtremesystems.com where they'd be able to give you better info.

There's plenty of OC'ing guides here, so you need to figure out that first.

Theres a water cooling link in the overclocking section that leads you to Xtremesystems to help you pick out parts for water cooling...pelt information would be there too.

pelts require a lot of power though so you'd probably need a second power supply. One side gets hot the other gets cold...cool the hot side with water cooling and the cold side is sure to get really cool, easily sub-ambient temps.

Condensation protection is required.

Basically you're looking to go into a lot of work and considering it sounds like you're just learning I would say that wouldn't be the way to go

Ive manged fine before by just jumping into things, I knew about the dangers of condinsation and have read on prevention methods, just details are hard to come by

As mentioned xtremesystems will have all of the answers you need with much detail

Basically IMO if you want to use a Peltier you had best pick up one of those built in blocks...I think Swiftech sells some...you'd need some Dielectic grease from Dangerden and then some insulation material

well you go ahead and try that and let me know how it works out for you, but considering electric tape doesn't protect against any kind of wetness I really wouldn't be wanting to try that.

Dieletric grease, neoprene padding, and conformal coating is what you need to properly protect against condensation.

Ive manged fine before by just jumping into things,
yeaah, well hey, if you got money to burn on computer parts then have at it. "Reading up on condensation protection" and actually putting it together safely are two different things.

Not trying to discourage you, but you need to learn about overclocking first before you decide to just dive into the extreme cooling and overclocking

Alright ... Ill certainly read up more on it but I just dont want to spend alot of money slowly upgrading my cooling system. Yes I plan to eventually get to peilteir cooling but along the way I would have to start with fans maybe move to watercooling before I could even get to peilters. But youre right I just can jump into it ... need to learn more... cant learn without doing cant do without money.

well, peltiers and water cooling almost go hand and hand so it's not like you'd be wasting your money getting water cooling, then later getting a pelt.

You'd either need to make your own cold plate and buy your pelt seperate or do like gaara said and get the one that swiftech makes, where it's already the water block, peltier, and cold plate put together for you in one nice block which is appprox $125 or so I think

Well on the not of the water cooling ... Ive seen internal systems ... which is sorta what I wanted to head for ... you know so If I ever decide to go to a lan party or something I dont have to lug a radiator around (in somecases I think you have to drain the radiator and the whole system before it can be moved) And I dont think the internal systems have the cooling power needed to keep the processor at a safe temp without the peilter. I could be wrong, if so tell me cuz I would love to start building an internal water cooling system.

I've attached a picture of my computer....all aesthetics aside, cause yeah I realize it's not the prettiest and right now it's dusty as hell, but the point I'm getting at is it's watercooled, CPU and GPU and is completely LAN Portable...infact I go to a LAN once a month because my friends hold one once a month at the local church here.

It's easy to build it into your computer assuming you have a full tower case. Those two fans on top are for my radiator. My radiator is a few inches below those fans attached to the top of the case (which of course had to be modded)

You don't have to buy a pre-made internal setup to have an internal setup inwhich you gotta carry a rad around...infact I've rarely seen anyone actually have their rad seperated, and that's generally when people use huge ass rads.

I'm actually using a heatercore from a car. 2-302 1977 chevette heatercore I believe is all the technical info which is the one a lot of the water cooling community uses as they are more effective than radiators that use simple copper tubing winding around.

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228

Theres instructions on how to mod your own heatercore, so you could essentially go to autozone, pick one up for about $25 and mod away.

And yeah as for draining, no you don't have to drain anything to simply move it...just make sure you aren't tossing around your computer or have crappy seals around the tubings and you'll be fine.

Attachments

• computer.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom