my build, round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

notquitedead

In Runtime
[Edit: posted what I think my build will be on the second page]

Hi,
In August people here helped me out a lot, but I decided to put off buying a new computer. I want to order the parts in a month or two so I'm back with more questions.

My new computer will be for gaming. My budget is around $800US, I'm willing to spend more (and probably will) but less is better. I've decided on a few things, but other suggestions are welcome:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego

eVGA 6600GT video card

Seagate Barracuda 80GB hard drive

I need some help picking a motherboard. The two I've been looking at are these:

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D mobo

Soltek SL-K890Pro mobo

Which of these would be better for gaming (LAN and internet)? I saw a review that compared the two and the soltek generally did a tiny bit better but it was really close. If there is a different motherboard you think I should get, please let me know.

I'm still trying to decide on a case as well. Are any of these good?

Antec Super Lanboy

CoolerMaster Centurion 532

Aspire X-Cruiser

Aspire X-Plorer

Aspire X-Navigator

I'll probably buy a gig of cheap RAM from a friend, and I'm keeping the mouse, keyboard, cd drive, dvd drive, etc. that I already have. If my case doesn't come with a PSU, I'll probably get a cheap antec one.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Thanks PZEROFGH, I bookmarked that page.

My friend bought 2 gigs of the cheap RAM, but his comp goes faster with 1 gig of that and his old 512. He said he might trade his extra gig for my old memory card, if he does I will use that until I can afford faster RAM.

I have to get the pcu, mobo, vid card, etc. all at once because I'm switching from Intel to AMD and from AGP to PCI. Memory is one of the few things that I can get later but still be able to use my new pc right away.

Edit:
In another thread someone recommended the XFX Geforce 6600GT, would that perform the same as the eVGA card? Since I plan on upgrading when the 7800s drop I might as well save some money...

XFX just make bad quality cards and they die very quickly.

and your switching from AGP to PCI??

Thanks. Yeah, I'm switching from AGP to PCI. I thought PCI was more future-proof?

I bought a gig of my friends memory (2 of these) today for $40. I'm using that with the 512mb I already had (2 crappy 256mb samsung sticks). I'll probably try to upgrade the memory a little while after buying the rest of the stuff I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom