Graphics Card - Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolsam24

Beta member
Graphics Card - Power Supply (Somebody help me PLEASE!!!!)

I'm buying a graphics card for my PC, and I know pretty much what I want. BUT: I only have a 200w power supply. I don't know anything about power supplies! Does it matter much? Will the graphics card still run? Help me please - I've been trying to find out about this for weeks!!!

Just for a bit help 200watts is not alot. This also depends on your computer if its a old one it should work fine, but for a gaming rig it will need more

When power supplies are around 180 or 200 watts, that usually means it's optimized for how you bought it. If you're adding a video card, you'll be sucking that thing dry, especially if it's anything more than an MX4000. I'd look into a quality 350 watt PSU, and aim for at least 15A on the 12V rail. All of the info can be found in the item description when you're shopping.

Ryan

P.S. What's your computer setup, including the graphics card you're looking at?

Elbatrop1 said:
Your best bet is to take an inventory of everything that you have in terms of computer hardware, including your new vid card, and use this PSU calculator to give you an idea on what kind of PSU you should be getting.
It needs more options in the video card and the RAM dropdown list. :beard:

Yah just give us your specs, and if you have an AGP slot. (USE CPU-Z like Elbatrop said.) You will need to buy a new PSU with a new video card. A 200w system may be pretty old and depending on what u want to do, you may be due for a more complete upgrade.

Thanks

thx guys! I checked out the PSU calculator thing - it says i need 214w if put in a new gfx card. I've only got an agp slot, but i checked the system spec and its actually quite new. ive got 512 mb RAM, an AMD athlon 2000+ XP, and im running win 2000 if that helps at all. i'm looking for something like a geforce 6600 kind of thing, about £100. will i be able to find one that will run on my power supply?
If not, how much would a new power supply cost, and would i be able to replace it easily? bearing in mind my systems in a shutlle xpc case so it can't be too big. Does the size of the case make a difference or are all PSUs the same size & shape???

I think most psu's come in the standard size. Some good brands are Antec, OCZ, and Enermax. They're not that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom