HD not found on first boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey2gorgeous

Beta member
Hi Tech Forum,
I have a PCChips M863G m/b with an Athlon processor. Working fine with 2 hard drives on the first IDE channel.

I recently took the slave HD off & put it in my flie server. Since then the machine doesn't recognise the main HD on first power on.

If I wait a short while & reboot it's then recognised.

Also, After POST, when XP sits there with a flashing cursor in the top left corner, this has suddenly started lasting for 20+ seconds where before it was only on it for 1-2 secs.

All I did was remove the slave on the ide channel. I have reseated the ide cable but it hasn't made any difference.

Any ideas??

I'm flummoxed.

Regards

Mike

No - but I will - I did try using the alternative connector on the cable (the one that the slave was using) but that made no difference.
I'll do it now - back in a bit!

Thanks

Mike

OK - spare cable installed - still get the problem.
POST has a BIG pause between memory check & ercognising the HD even once it's had a chance to.
If I go into SETUP for the board, for a while there's nothign listed on first IDE channel then after a while it's there (about 15-20 secs).
Fairly new drive (< 6 mnths) - don't get ANY issue with it once windows is up and running (that I can spot).

What should I try next?

Regards

Mike

I guess that's going to be the next step - perhaps I'll whip the primary out of my fileserver over the weekend.

Thanks - I'll post when it's done.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom