cant view jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
On one of our computers, when the user tried to open a jped image they got as an attachment, first they had to select a program to view the image with. They selected microsoft paint and got the error below. You also cannot open it with microsoft imagine or any other program. You can open jpeg files just not this one. This file can be opened on other computer however. what might cause this?

Attachments

• error.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 39
I have seen this many many times... Its a profile issue dealing with your temp dir's. There is a reg fix for this however I don't have access to it anymore. I am pretty sure you can fix this by re-building the local profile on the machine, If you can't find the reg fix. Have you checked on the Microsoft site at all for this issue ?
The rebuild of the profile will be quicker, if you want my opinion.

You must either whack into the machine or login with an .adm account. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings.
You will see the users.name as one of the folders.
You need to simply rename that folder to user.name.old.date
This will force the OS to automatically rebuild this profile.
After you rename this folder, Simply log off of the .adm acct and have the user log back in... *NOTE* the desktop will look as though this is the first time logging in to this machine.

You must remember to copy over the "My Documents", "Favorites" and "Desktop" Folders ( from the user.name.old.date ) back over to the "New" local profile after the user has logged back in with this new profile.

* Note * you need to enable the hidden files and folders.

After you get the picture to either display via Paint or MS Pic Manager you can start adding over other folders such as "Application Data" and "Local Settings" However : In side these folders is where the corruption has occured so the probability of the problem could come back by adding these 2 folders back into the new profile.

IMO - don't add the Application Data or Local Settings folders back into the New profile.

alright well the folder that i need to do this to is a network profile folder called name.domain, for example. I logged onto the network as the administrator and to the local machine as administrator. Both times when trying to rename the folder i get an error saying:

Error renaming file or folder
Cannont rename mbill: access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

How do i get around this?

The machine is using the file. Download process explorer procexp and run that as an admin. Then look for a handle to the file it's referencing. once it's found, click the handle, and kill the thread.

that should do it for you.

On the folder you wish to rename, select the properties/security/advanced. Replace the owner of this folder to you or an admin group.

alright well i ended up booting up in safe mode to change the file name. Then i rebooted and logged onto the network creating the new temp folder. I then, before moving any thing from teh old folder to the new folder, opened up outlook, which i had to reconfigure since the config data was no longer there. I then opened up the attachment and bam still there. I got the same error. So since it was a brand new temp folder with nothing in it, it is a problem beyond that unfortunitly. So if any one has any other ideas as to what it may be please let me know thanks to everyone that has given me info so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom