What is a worth while GPU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't get more ram cos it will just be more to chuck out when the m2 comes along :p cos it uses ddr2 or 3 (pritty sure its 2 according to plans)

On my XP 2500+ system, i went from a 9200se to a XFX 6600gt (they sent me a XFX instead of a Xpertvision which was worth $60 more) and i was really impressed however i am not planning to upgrade anything else for a long time.

gimli of gloin said:
so they will scrap the DDR1 slots out of M2 motherboards completly?

Ya, DDR1 will be gone soon. DDR2 wasn't even supposed to have gotten as big as it did because DDR3 is what is gonna be "it" pretty soon. I bet within the next 6 months the price of DDR1 will be the most expensive because the demand will not be as high anymore. Keep DDR1 for now, don't get DDR2, and wait for DDR3.

snowpunk said:
Ya, DDR1 will be gone soon. DDR2 wasn't even supposed to have gotten as big as it did because DDR3 is what is gonna be "it" pretty soon. I bet within the next 6 months the price of DDR1 will be the most expensive because the demand will not be as high anymore. Keep DDR1 for now, don't get DDR2, and wait for DDR3.

that doesnt make sense...if the demand is low...the price is low...

gimli of gloin said:
that doesnt make sense...if the demand is low...the price is low...

Okay lets see if I can think back to my college Economics... you'd think I'd know what I'm talking about since it was my major.

I've heard many times that DDR1 soon will be reffered to as the more expensive older brother to DDR3. The only way I can logically justify it being more expensive is that more and more manufacturers will stop producing it, therefore there will be a smaller supply, therefore creating a higher demand, therefore increasing [relative] price.

I'm trying to pretend I know what I'm talking about :)

if you've been paying attention to the latest trend of hardware in the last couple of years it's been reverse of what it should be....it used to be the older hardware got cheaper, but now it's like they consider it 'rarer' so then the price winds up getting ridiculous.

Go look for some PC133 RAM which is old as crap and you will be shocked at some of the prices you see.

Exactly, look at the older Athlon 64s (NewCastle, Clawhammer, Winchester, Sledgehammer)...they're more expensive than their Venice and San Diego counterparts, even though the Venice and San Diego are 10 times (not really) better.

At first I thought it was sort of a "collectors item" since there would have to be something wrong with you if you bought a NewCastle these days ;)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom