building an editing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

spedboy

Beta member
hello everyone (or anyone?)

i'm new to the forum , so i apologize if this is in the wrong place, etc.

i'm wanting to build a high-def video editing machine (HDV).

a book i have says to use a 3 gig processor. i'm aware that fsb speed and memory speed are important, as well , but unsure of the matchup of the 3.

i would greatly appreciate any info anyone can provide about chipsets/fsb speeds and the memory types to go with that would make the best use of, say , a pentium 4 775 socket chip rated at about 3-3.2 ghz.

rendering is highly processor intensive, but it obviously needs to 'breathe'.

if i have ddr 400 memory, what's the fastest fsb speed that i can obtain?

thanks in advance !!

You might want to think about getting a Dual Core CPU, for stuff like video editing it is really the way to go. You will also see a pretty big performance boost when companies start releasing video editing programs that support Dual Core CPUs (that's if there isnt allready programs out that support Dual Core)

So i would suggest take a look at the AMD X2 or Intel Dual Core line of CPUS.

I am not really into editing but from the little i have done i realise that you will need alot of HD space and atleast 1GB of Ram.

thanks sprooty!

yeah, i have a sata hdd (300gb) already and 2 gb ddr 400.

but, i'm worried that the ddr400 will slow down a motherboard built with a chipset designed to work at fsb speeds of 800 or 1066. would it?

i'm not real clear on the relationships between fsb, mem speed and processor speed.

i already have sony vegas hdv....no time to wait for software for dual core . (plus dual core is ungodly expensive!)

i'm just wonder ing what would be a good mem and chipset combo to run 800 or 1066 with a pentium that's about 3 gigs.

thanks again

You get what you pay for. The 600 series of P4s are good and cheap if you don't want to go dual core (which you should).

For High Def Video Editting machine - I'd no doubt go with a Dual Core System. AMD or INTEL whatever... take your pick. I'd personally go with the AMD X2 4800+ or Intel Pent D 840 3.2Ghz. Or if you could afford it go with the P4 Pent D 840 Extreme Edition - Not only do you get a dual core processor it also supports Hyper Threading. You'ld have 2 CPU's and 2 Logical CPU's. You could do a whole hellava lot at one time.

I'd say make sure you've got 2GIG of some nice RAM.
And very important. You'll need a good VIDEO CARD and possibly a nice VIDEO CAPTURE CARD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom